Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some insight ladies..

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:36 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am kinda new to being in a relationship with someone in the military. Anyways I just want to know what I should be prepared for. Give it to me straight ladies.. I want to know what to expect.. What is it like? So far it has been tough but I have a feeling I have alot to learn. Just lay it out there ladies with experience.. Tell it like it is..

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Adorkable87
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:47 AM

i had to learn that the job is on call, and when they come back from deployment they are still in whats called "deployment mind" which is if he tells you to do something and he expects it to be done right then and there hes treating you like his men you need to point out what hes doing. but really what ive noticed above all is that he needs to know your there for him.

laurabtx
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Military life... WHEW! where to begin! lol

Honestly girl your going to get all kinds of answers from this thread, but from my own experience its been good so far.

Husband has been in for 13 yrs, been married for 4. My first duty station was in Germany, so.. i went from living in an area I grew up in & knew everything about, my whole life, to living over seas away from family & friends. Thank goodness for SKYPE & long distance ph calls!! lol  As much as at the time I "hated" being that far from home, I loved Europe & got to see a TON of places.. and travel everywhere. That was pretty awesome. So one purk to being a military spouse.. your always going to see new places & things.  =)

As far as deployments and the times the guys go into the field and whatnot... those obviously suck. I have only been away from my husband for 4 months at the most. So i couldnt tell you Anything about those 12+ mo. deployments & the toll it takes on kids. (We just had our first baby girl 3 months ago.)

There are lots of benefits of being a military family though.. free healthcare, dental is very inexpensive, tax-free shopping (which doesnt always amount to much, but still a decent set-up).... what else. If you live on base, you for the most part have no bills, other than amenities (cable, internet, ph). Monthly Electricity bills, water, gas, etc. (that stuff is all taken from your BAH-which is determined upon rank & dependents in your household)

So i guess thats all that I know about.. or can think of to tell ya  ;)

Its going to be a crazy life, but i wouldnt trade it for nothing. Just be personable to the other wives, and you'll make friends easy... and watch out for the drama~ LOL always lots of drama... lol

Good luck girl!!

tangleballlover
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Everyone has different experiences with the military life. You can't really get a clear cut answer on "what to expect" - but my advice, be ready for plans to change at the drop of a pin, make sure you never take for granted the time you have with your s/o, and it's alway a good idea to find a friend. I'm really difficult to make friends with because I'm shy and not extremely social with strangers...but once I made friends, they helped me a lot just to get through difficult times while DH was away and while he was home :)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Learn to be patient, flexible and independent and you should be fine.

themacs4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Quoting usmclife58:

This!!  Exactly this!

amberdy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I completely agree.

Quoting themacs4:

Quoting usmclife58:

This!!  Exactly this!

omerciful1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

This. And a hell of a sense of humor.... ;)

Quoting usmclife58:

MissG9
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Rule number 1.

Expect nothing.

This life is all about going with the flow.

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I AGREE!

Quoting omerciful1:

Quoting usmclife58:

toddler girlbaseballplaying soccer girl

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Oh yes! A sense of humor helps to keep your sanity. It is better to laugh something off than to cry it off. Plus it burns more calories :P

Quoting omerciful1:

Quoting usmclife58:

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)