Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can they do this??

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM
  • 38 Replies

so i know that when you give birth your hubby is givin 10 - 14 days off... but what if they are getting set to deploy?? my husband is set to leave in about 10 days and our son is due is 3... his CO said that he is SOL and that he is leaving whether our son is born or not... i was told that if he is still on base when our baby is born that they HAVE to give him his 10 days!! it is his first born... i cant get anyone at LEGAL to pick up so i figured i would ask you ladies... 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new2this09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Good question. From what I understand (USAF here), the birth of a child doesn't constitute a family emergency; and family emergencies are what yield delays in deployment or returns home. i.e. I knew a guy in the Army whose family was in a fatal car wreck 2 days before he was set to deploy. He was already in another state...but he was sent home and not made to deploy due to a family emergency.

I know several people who have missed child births due to deployment; but honestly I'm not sure. I also went to training with someone whose wife had a baby during his training pipeline. The ONLY reason he made it home for the birth of his child is because his wife happened to go into labor on a weekend, so he got to use a pass to head home, in conjunction with 2 days of leave...and THAT was just during training (AIT/Tech School/whatever you call it for your branch).

MissG9
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Although, I feel for you. And, it's sucks. But, it's the military. A lot of men miss the pregnancies, the births, the first years, years in general, of their children's lives. Sorry : ( And, good luck!

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
Adamsmommy1608
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I asked DH, and he said it's up the his command. Apparently paternity leave isn't a right it's a privlege, and what they can do is keep him back if they so chose to, but it sounds like the choice has been made. Good luck and I hope we are wrong.

DevynHummer
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

If his unit says no...then no. Sometimes they let guys stay back but a lot of times they don't. My hubby's old unit let several stay back for the birth of their babies but the deployment before that they didn't let anyone.

I'm sorry! But check into Operation Special Delivery so you can at least have a doula for free!!

tangleballlover
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Yeah...my DH didn't get but 3 days paternity leave and they charged him for it...and it was all because of a class he HAD to be present for. If his COC is saying that he is SOL and will deploy with everyone else, that's what'll happen.

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

In cases of him being scheduled to deploy right around the time of the birth the CO CAN postpone the leave until they return from deployment and then your hubs will be allowed to take it within 90 days after getting home.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Bump. Good luck.

Maddies_mom101
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

he will deploy regardless which sucks. I know most units will give them the paternity leave after deployment. I know they did with my husband  becuase my son was born during deployment 

omerciful1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM

It is up to his CoC. It is regular leave and if he is set to deploy, they will send him. There is nothing you are he can do about it.

abelsc
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM

It all depends on the command.  If the command says they don't need him, then he gets it.  They rate 10 days of paternity leave, but if the command doesn't have to give it to him.

Under the Marine program, commanders shall authorize 10 consecutive days of non-chargeable leave, in the form of Permissive Temporary Additional Duty (PTAD) for a married male Marine when his spouse gives birth.

The timing of PTAD will be granted at the commander's discretion depending on the unit's mission and specific operational circumstances. However, commanders will ensure, absent any immediate or future operational requirements, that PTAD is taken and completed within 25 days after the child's birth. Additionally, it will be taken before any other leave (regular leave, reenlistment leave, combat leave, post deployment mobilization respite absence, etc.).

In instances where Marines are deployed, or scheduled to deploy prior to the birth, or immediately following the birth, commanders have the discretion to postpone PTAD. Marines unable to take PTAD as stated above will execute their PTAD within 90 days from the date of return from deployment. Commanders retain the discretion to authorize PTAD outside the 90 day window (post-deployment) based on exigent circumstances

If you need anything let me know. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)