Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MMR vaccination???

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is due to get the MMR shot, I really don't want to get it together but the pediatricain she goes to only offers it together.  Do they offer it through the base Pediatrician seperate????  Also I wasn't sure how it works if I find another pediatrican, do I have to get another referal through base to get tricare to pay for it???

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

The last two bases we were at the base ped could not get the MMR split into separate shots.  They told us to try the health department.  I just delayed our youngest son's MMR until he was over two and he was fine.  We use a delayed schedule so he got the MMR alone and no other shots at that time.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JSA8914
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

If there's a local health dept. near where you are stationed, that would probably be your best bet.  Most of them give vaccines for free, too.

JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The MMR is no longer offered seperate anywhere. The manufacturer no longer makes seperate vaccines. Your only option is the combined shot. It is possible that some places still have the seperate vaccines left over, but then you run the risk of them not having one of the components. Your best bet is to just hold off and do the combined shot at a later date.

Sophiaria
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM
The base I'm at tried to tell me that they can only do it together bc its a live vaccine and that's. The only thing they have. I said I know you can order it, my daughter had Two seizures after each of the two sets of vaccines you gave her, if you don't order it I will go off base to a pediatrician who will, and they ended up ordering it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamissy23
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Just postpone it until the child is older...We did delayed vaccinating

Sophiaria
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM
My base pediatrician just ordered it and we have an appt aug 12 to get one of the vaccines.

Quoting JMmama:

The MMR is no longer offered seperate anywhere. The manufacturer no longer makes seperate vaccines. Your only option is the combined shot. It is possible that some places still have the seperate vaccines left over, but then you run the risk of them not having one of the components. Your best bet is to just hold off and do the combined shot at a later date.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Then she managed to find a place that still have all the components or she is lying to you. I did manage to find an article on Dr Sears that says they are going to start making them in seperate shots again, but they aren't available until sometime in 2011.

On their website Merck only has listed the measles component seperate from the combined shots. The rubella component that is listed is only for use in non-pregnant adult or adolescent females.

I don't know what your doctor ordered or where she ordered it from, but before you give your child the shots, especially since she has had a reaction, I would call your ped, get the names of the vaccines and look up the prescribing and patient information.

ETA- Also make sure she has all three components. At the immunizations clinic on base you can get the measles component, but without the ability to get the rubella and mumps components the measles component is pretty useless.

Quoting Sophiaria:

My base pediatrician just ordered it and we have an appt aug 12 to get one of the vaccines.

Quoting JMmama:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)