Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for all you double military family

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
If you & your husband are both in the military are both of y'all in the same military branch or different? And how are y'all stationed at the same base? Can the military station y'all at different bases or how does that work??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brittany.Dann
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new2this09
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I'm Guard and DH is Active Duty. We are not stationed at the same base and it would be really difficult to be unless I go Active Duty.

To answer your questions:

There is Joint Assignment for spouses in the same branch (i.e., it does not apply to Army/USAF couples etc.); at least for the Air Force there is. That just means the Air Force will "do its best" to station both spouses together. But that is dependent on both member's jobs; i.e. a C 130 aircrew member can only be stationed at C 130 bases...and if the other spouse is, say, a fighter mechanic, he/she would be a fighter base. So the jobs have to be "compatible," so to speak. Also to note, there have to be openings for the jobs at the base--each base has a certain # of members in the career fields; so there would have to be a need. I know for the Air Force, they actually do TRY their best to keep you close. I know of SEVERAL military couples who, although they couldn't be stationed together, the military stationed them near each other (i.e. within driving distance).

I hope this helps.

momof1brat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

My double military family didn't work.  I was national guard, he was regular army.  I was stationed in MS and made the drive once a month, and he was gone every day.  The support level I got from him was NOTHING, but as far as both being in, it is possible, some are stationed same place, some are not, and you can request same military base if you are in the same unit, through your commanding officer.   Hope this helped.  :)

mamamissy23
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM

hubby and I were both active duty Navy...it didnt work and I got out. We were together for a while then we were being seperated and I was pregnant and we already had one child. He was going to Florida and I was going to VA...I would have only been in VA for a year because they had to put us back together within 365 days...but I said forget it and got out I was pregnant and didnt want to be alone with our son too

SierraLynn
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

They can station you together. If they dont, and you are more than 50 miles away the military would have to pay each of you speration pay, so its noramlly benefical for them to station you together. if you different branch's it would be a lot more difficuly, and most likely wouldnt be stationed together. DH and I were in the same unit till I got out.

velveretwhisper
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM
My husband and I are both army. We're both medics, so that works in our benefit. We are in the same clinic on the same base. Every unit always needs medics :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daiseymae2
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

There is a couple we mat here(Army) and they are stationed here together. I'm not sure of all the details, but i know it can be done. She joined after her and her DH got married.

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Me and DH are both Army.  We are enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program, and we have applied for joint domicile.  This means that when we come up for assignment, the Army tries to station us within 50 miles of one another so that we can live together.  Since we have the same job, we have always been on the same post.  We are on our 3rd duty station and so far we have not been separated.  But it does and can happen.  One of my drill sergeants in AIT was dual military and his wife was halfway across the country. 

new2this09
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Clarification: You only get separation pay for the family; that is only one of you gets it, not both...Also, if the military deems that you are separated by choice (i.e. you both were already in and then got married, then it was your choice to be separate; this can also go the other way: if one member is in and the other enlists, then that was a choice. I haven't really heard of many joint spouses getting family sep in the AF since the military says that either way, it was their choice, and by no fault of the military...).

Quoting SierraLynn:

They can station you together. If they dont, and you are more than 50 miles away the military would have to pay each of you speration pay, so its noramlly benefical for them to station you together. if you different branch's it would be a lot more difficuly, and most likely wouldnt be stationed together. DH and I were in the same unit till I got out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)