Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting out of the military before 20...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Do you make a clean break ...or go Reserves, knowing there is a possibility of being mobilized and deployed at any given time?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

BUMP!

jmetz4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

BUMP!

5peasinapod07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I could be wrong but I think that you have to serve in the reserves for a certaint number of years after you are no longer active duty.

jkleinman
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM
This.

Quoting 5peasinapod07:

I could be wrong but I think that you have to serve in the reserves for a certaint number of years after you are no longer active duty.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love060708kids
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Depends on your time as active duty.  If you were active duty for 4 years then you have to do reserves for 6 years i think...i'm not 100% 

bubbasmom0917
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

how long has the person been in?

SierraLynn
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Once you sign your inital contract, the very first one. You are atuomatically on alist somewhere for the inactive reserves for 8 years. A normal contract last usually 3-4 years. If you get out before that time, or right at your normal ETS date, you will still be in the inactive reserves till that 8 years is up. If you re-enlist, your probably void form the inactive reserves so thats easy.

But the inactive reserves, you dont meet once a month, there may be some kind of weekend training thing but maybe once a year. Ive been out over a year and have never been contacted by my "unit" based out of St. Louis. I do have the possiblity of being mobilized, but it is most likely 99.9% not going to happen, they ony deploy every 5 years, or as needed. my unit has just gotten back when I got out, plus I had to have maternity leave of 3 months or so, so within the time I have left in incative, I cannot deploy again. sorry that was long, but thats kjust my situation. =)

EagleMom96
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Yes, no matter what your initial enlistment is you owe 8 years that can be finished in the inactive ready reserve (IRR).  

My husband chose to get out at 12 years and went straight into the Reserves, although we could have made a clean break from the Navy.  By going straight into the Reserves my husband had a 2 year deferral from mobilization. If we waited more than 6 months it would have been one year.  If we waited over a year to go into the Reserves, we would be eligible for mobilization immediately....This is something to think about if you or  your spouse is thinking about leaving active duty and possibly going into the Reserves. 

Quoting SierraLynn:

Once you sign your inital contract, the very first one. You are atuomatically on alist somewhere for the inactive reserves for 8 years. A normal contract last usually 3-4 years. If you get out before that time, or right at your normal ETS date, you will still be in the inactive reserves till that 8 years is up. If you re-enlist, your probably void form the inactive reserves so thats easy.

But the inactive reserves, you dont meet once a month, there may be some kind of weekend training thing but maybe once a year. Ive been out over a year and have never been contacted by my "unit" based out of St. Louis. I do have the possiblity of being mobilized, but it is most likely 99.9% not going to happen, they ony deploy every 5 years, or as needed. my unit has just gotten back when I got out, plus I had to have maternity leave of 3 months or so, so within the time I have left in incative, I cannot deploy again. sorry that was long, but thats kjust my situation. =)

Terri1961
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM

my son is in the reserves and he is doing 6 yrs 2 0f which are active

violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)