Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pcs

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM
  • 20 Replies
So we finally got orders of of utah yay!!! My hubby has been in for almost 11 years and has been at hill afb for all of it! I've never done a pcs move! Help! Any advice would be helpfully.

Kristen Johnson moms rock

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Congrats on getting to move. And good luck!! :)

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Wow! I can't believe ya'll have been at Hill 11 years! That's actually a base we would love to go to, because it's close to my home state (Idaho).

What do you need to know about PCSing? I think the most important things to remember for me is to itemize everything. We take video of our belongings, shut all the electonics off and on to show they work properly. Just making sure your stuff is accounted for. That way if stuff comes back broken, you have proof it was in good working order.

Another thing is don't let the movers mark ANYTHING misc. These boxes get lost often. Make sure that even if it is stuff from a junk drawer, it says 'junk drawer' on the box and on the accompanying paper they use to itemize the boxes.

Condense, consolidate, and give away! Now is your chance to get rid of anything that is unneccessary. The movers can and will move all kinds of crap. They literally dump drawers into boxes, so if there are random pens you don't want, thumb tacks, or just plain ole crap, get rid of it now!

Good Luck! I have tons more info, but will let the others take it from here :)

bamababe1975
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Congrats!

twinsmommy3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM
I started going through stuff and throwing it away,never knew how much crap I had! Hill is a hard base to get away from,no one wants to get stationed here,the guys call it hell afb,lol I'm looking forward to our move as I'm not from here and really hate it but I met my hubby here so I stayed. I've heard the horror stories about tmo ill be sure to watch them like a hawk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaschelle
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM

pack your suit cases and empty one room completey. Place suit cases in this empty room and tell them NOTHING in it gets packed. That way you still have clothes and essentials when all the rest is on trucks. Oh and don't let them pack your full trash can.

twinsmommy3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM
That's a great idea thanks!good thing I have like 7 suitcases too! I think I'm gonna throw the trash can we away the day before they come and get a new one after we get to the new base. Its old and time for a new one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Amber on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Congrats. I have known other that were stationed at Hill
for a long time as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffanyrachelle
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

looks like you got lots of good advice here.  Safe travels!  

Pishyah
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

My understanding is that a lot of the way that it worked has recently been changed and we PCS'd only 2 years ago so if it has changed I don't want to give you inaccurate information.  Congrats on finally getting a new base, though! 

GoodyTutuShoes
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Wish I could help but we just gor our first orders too. I have no idea how it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)