Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for info, plz and thank you. ::Sorry for the lengthy post::

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so 1st my name is Ashton. I have a 4 year old daughter, her name is Eres.  Cutting to the point, my fiance wants to join the military. He'd been toying with the air force since he graduated high school, decided to get a degree in teaching instead. About a year before graduating, he got the itch for the military again (his grandpa served in the AF) He went through much of the process, but due to some weird little mix up during MEPS, he was sent home. They had his birthday wrong in the computer, and he forgot his birth certificate. This all happened before we were together.

We got together shortly after these things happened, he had decided that maybe this all meant that he wasn't meant to join but I could tell when we met by the boyish jet posters on his walls that this was something that would continue to come up in our life together. After he grduated, it did in fact come up again. Again he tried and tried for the air force but it seemed that the local recruiters were passing him around, not giving him any answers, not returning his phone calls etc. 

Well, his best friend is a Marine. He started suggesting to my fiance that he look into that...and so he did. The local recruiter has been very helpful, and he could still try for something in aviation. He scored a 93 on his practice-asvab. Seems like all signs are pointing to "Go." 

Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope I'm not breaking some rule. This is scary for me, but I want to be supportive as I said before, I've always known this would be a possibility. He currently is teaching as a middle school math teacher, so this isn't something he wants to do for $$, it's something he just WANTS to do.  I really would appreciate any input, any advice or information on what to expect as a military wife. What are your personal experiences? What is your family life like, where have you been stationed, etc.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamissy23
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:18 AM
what if he just starts out reserves to test it out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PJmom1226
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Overall, I'd say the military life is a good one.  We've traveled all over the world and ALL of our healthcare expenses are paid.  On the flip side, we move A LOT....I would recommend it though.  I think he'll be deplyed less if he joins the Air Force.  :)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Welcome!!

I love military life. It has been great for us. Of course there are times when I want to pull my hair out, but I had that more often in the civi-life. Have you went with him to the recruiter? If he is really set on the AF, he could find another recruiter. Good luck!!

Ashtron07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Something I seem to be coming across in my reading is that wives don't get much chance for a education and career of their own. How many women on here are stay at home mothers?

navymomof3boys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:36 AM

The military life as a whole is great!  I would like to suggest that he explore all of the branches of the armed forces, including the Coast Guard.  He could still fly and would most likely be home a whole lot more!  My husband is a Navy pilot and has been deployed four times in fifteen years.  Not too bad and when he does deploy he is the safest pilot out there since he is coming back to the ship each day.

Ashtron07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:40 AM

The boy has definitely done his research. As I said, his best friend is a marine, his brother was in the army, spent a good amount of time in Iraq. His grandfather was in the air force. He's the type of person, that if he's going to do something he shows full dedication. So a being a "weekend warrior" isn't going to do it for him lol.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I am a SAHM mom, now. I wasn't always though and most of my married liffe (7 years) I have worked. I had to quit working because I had a daughter that had a birth defect. I thought it was better to stay home.

I think the key to having a career is to find an employer who is flexible. I worked at a military bank, so they semi-understood when my husband was gone and I'd need to leave early to pick up our daughter from daycare.

Also, as a military wife, you have SO MANY different scholarships and aid out there for education. I know many many wives with degrees. The reason I haven't finished mine has nothing to do at all with my husbands career, but it is REALLY difficult to go to school with a 2 yo. So I will finish my degree when she is in school.

Welcome to the group. Being a military is fun and exciting, but it's also a lot of work and determination. You either love the life or you hate it. Hopefully you will love it, and get to enjoy all the things it has to offer!!

Quoting Ashtron07:

Something I seem to be coming across in my reading is that wives don't get much chance for a education and career of their own. How many women on here are stay at home mothers?

prego7386
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM

we LOVE it. my husband is a 4th generation Marine and honestly wasn't made for anything else. I am currently putting in paper work to the Army. Together we have been to North Carolina and Pendleton, now we are at Fort Lee because he has an instructor position here on the post.  First thing is you need to get Married to the Military. its a great little pink camo book that give you the rundown of everything. It will pretty much answer any question from how to read his LES (leave and earning statement aka paycheck) to all the little dress codes for events and lingo they throw around. marine corps boot camp is 3 months then he will be off to basic infantry school for about 1-2 months then to his school and that will vary in time depending on what he ultimately decides on for his MOS (military occupational specialty aka job).  you will receive the paycheck and BAH (basic housing allowance aka money to help pay for rent and bills) after about his first month of boot camp. 

i love the lifestyle, medical has always been great for me and my son, he gets vacation days plus federal holidays off and a steady paycheck. For my husband it gives him a sense of drive and reward that i honestly cant see any other job giving him and when he is 40 (8 more years) he will retire and we will still have full medical :P

EagleMom96
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:55 AM

It's been a great life for us. We left active duty and went reserves after 12 years and I would say our only regret is getting out. : ) We miss it. But, everything has it's up and downs, so you just have to roll with it.  I am a SAHM, but I choose that. You certainly can have a career, just know you will be looking for a new job every 2-3 years, or if you are lucky enough to work from home, then moving won't matter much. I guess it depends on your profession, etc.  The job security is wonderful and the medical benefits can't be beat. I wish you and your finance the best of luck making your decisions. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I am, by choice. Most everyone I know is either working, going to school or staying home, all by choice. I am going back to school in January to finish my nursing degree. I wil go back to work after that, but only part-time.

Quoting Ashtron07:

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)