Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIOG First move suggestions?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm starting to plan our first move that DS will be old enough to realize what's going on. He's moved before, but he was a baby and didn't really care/understand what was happening. Now that he's 3 1/2 (will be 4 when we move), I'm thinking about things I can do to ease the transition for him. Any suggestions for books, movies, etc.? We love going to the library, so I thought if I could find a few books on the subject it might make things easier for him. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

monkey

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wiser_then_ever
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM

at ACS on our base they have quite a few books/brochures/dvds and things for you to have for kids that explain things/make things easy/tips

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:22 PM

With my oldest, (she's 4) we talked a lot about where we were moving. (we had orders to alaska, that got cancelled...)

I showed her pics on the computer about the area. Snow, moose, ect. At the library there are all kinds of books on moving and things changing.

I think the biggest thing I had to calm her about was that we got to bring all her things. It is hard to understand that we are leaving this house and getting another, and we are going to have ALL our stuff! But as soon as she figured all that out, she was excited.

Now explaining that we are no longer going to live by santa claus...well, she is still grasping it!

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM

BUMP!

wiser_then_ever
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM

bump

EagleMom96
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Talk to him about his NEW ROOM and maybe something fun that he might have in  it. : ) Focus on the traveling to the new place....maybe a neat stop along the way.  Pack him his own "on the go" travel bag with his most special things and some travel toys, so he knows he will have some fun stuff with him.  Play "moving" with his trucks and little people or play pretend and he can be the moving guy or the truck driver. Let him color on some boxes and that big white paper they use to wrap stuff.  Just some fun ideas.......it's a transition, but kids end up doing better than we think!! GOOD LUCK! 

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:23 PM

BUMP!

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Bump.

AustinsMom13
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, ladies! We're off to the library tomorrow, gonna see what the librarian can suggest for us.

monkey

llove12
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 12:43 AM
These are great ideas. My son was freaked when all his toys and things were getting packed up, but having some "special" toys and books in the car gave him a feeling of normalcy.

Quoting EagleMom96:

Talk to him about his NEW ROOM and maybe something fun that he might have in  it. : ) Focus on the traveling to the new place....maybe a neat stop along the way.  Pack him his own "on the go" travel bag with his most special things and some travel toys, so he knows he will have some fun stuff with him.  Play "moving" with his trucks and little people or play pretend and he can be the moving guy or the truck driver. Let him color on some boxes and that big white paper they use to wrap stuff.  Just some fun ideas.......it's a transition, but kids end up doing better than we think!! GOOD LUCK! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)