Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a recruiters advice.. Or a recent joining soldier..

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

My husband is supposed to swear in Thursday.. This thursday(in 2 days!!) and he still doesnt know what MOS to choose? He hasnt even seen any MOS that he qualified for with his asvab scores.. I'm so stressed out because I heard from a friend of ours that MEPS rushes you because you should already know your MOS.. BTW he's army.. His recruiter is an okay recruiter(my husband loves him but I dont)  its just we know nothing.. He hasnt told us much.. I have learned everything from here and the goarmy.com discussion board. Everyone keeps telling me that he should of choosen his job after he took his asvab and that the recruiter could reserve it for him.. He took his ASVAB 3 WEEKS ago and still hasnt seen any jobs that he qualified for. And I would like to see a list of the jobs he qualified for an come home and talk about the jobs.. Can he even choose his job at meps or what??

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Before he swears in, they will call him back into an office and go through the jobs with him. Tell him NOT to let them bully him into a job he doesn't want to do because his military experience wont be the best if he isn't enjoying his job. 

CuSukha
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM

What did he get on his asvab? And I would have him go on the site and read through every job and pick atleast 5 then narrow it down from those

Soniam301
by Sonia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:06 PM

If you know his Asvab scores this site can give you an idea of what he qualifies for:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blarasvabscores.htm

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM

BUMP!

KBix
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:25 PM

both of you need to go in to the recruiting station and tell his recruiter that you want to see the jobs availiable to him on FSR2S that stands for the Future Soldier Remote Reservation System.  my husband is a recruiter and he reserves all of his applicants jobs before they go to MEPS.  Its his job as a recruiter to do this.

prego7386
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM

ummm yeah DONT SWEAR IN!!! im about to join in a couple of months but im already working with my recruiter. i have already picked out my job based on my prior asvab and practice scores. if he doesn't see a MOS on paper and sign that then they can throw him straight into infantry if they want to. he has every right to stall the swear in until he is satisfied with everything trust me they aren't going to stop needing recruits anytime soon.

SierraLynn
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Tell him not to rush under any circimstances. He has every right to make sure he gets what He wants, not what his recruiter or the dude at MEPS wants. There may possibly be a lot of other who have to wait, but oh well. He should have had plenty of chences to look at the MOS' he is qualified for, no excuses. Its pretty eff'ed up if you ask me that his recruiter hasnt gone over it with him. He doesnt HAVE to swear in on thrus. If anyhitng I think he can see what he is qual'd for and go home and talk about if he wants (not my personal suggestion, but he *should*).

But if anything tell him to take his time. I remember you talking about airborne ranger before, so maybe a comabt MOS would suit well. My DH is a Scout (19D) and LOVES it, so it not only infantry thats combat. It also depends on when he wants to leave. He may have to be willing to leave a lot sooner than you 2 were expecting becasue the job he wants, a new class starts soon, or very much later. It all depends.

KBM99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:25 PM

okay so this week or so has been SO CONFUSING!! BLAH! The recruiter called him today and told him that he's going to chose his job tomorrow and get it reserved and then next tuesday he will go stay at a hotel and wednesday he will swear in.. I'm going with him tomorrow to reserve his job and then Wednesday I will drive up there and be there when he swears in.. Does anyone know if I can take pictures of him swearing in.. And what does he need to wear to swear in?

Quoting SierraLynn:

Tell him not to rush under any circimstances. He has every right to make sure he gets what He wants, not what his recruiter or the dude at MEPS wants. There may possibly be a lot of other who have to wait, but oh well. He should have had plenty of chences to look at the MOS' he is qualified for, no excuses. Its pretty eff'ed up if you ask me that his recruiter hasnt gone over it with him. He doesnt HAVE to swear in on thrus. If anyhitng I think he can see what he is qual'd for and go home and talk about if he wants (not my personal suggestion, but he *should*).

But if anything tell him to take his time. I remember you talking about airborne ranger before, so maybe a comabt MOS would suit well. My DH is a Scout (19D) and LOVES it, so it not only infantry thats combat. It also depends on when he wants to leave. He may have to be willing to leave a lot sooner than you 2 were expecting becasue the job he wants, a new class starts soon, or very much later. It all depends.

KBix
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:37 PM
You can take pics, my husband said he should wear closed toe shoes, khaki's, and a plain polo.

Quoting KBM99:

okay so this week or so has been SO CONFUSING!! BLAH! The recruiter called him today and told him that he's going to chose his job tomorrow and get it reserved and then next tuesday he will go stay at a hotel and wednesday he will swear in.. I'm going with him tomorrow to reserve his job and then Wednesday I will drive up there and be there when he swears in.. Does anyone know if I can take pictures of him swearing in.. And what does he need to wear to swear in?

Quoting SierraLynn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)