Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infantryman 11b edited..

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

My husband wants to go infantry and I'm really REALLY nervous.. I'm going to support him no matter what but I don't want to lose my husband if he goes to deploy.. I know no matter what being deployed there is a chance to be killed but PLEASE be blunt with me.. How possible is it for him to be killed if he is to be deployed as infantry??

EDIT: BTW what is the difference between 11b and 11c??

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Its possible. So he wants to be combat? There is also a Scout (19D) that's combat but not infantry. they do reconnaissance for the infantry basically. also with being combat, that doesn't always mean they will be going outside the wire all the time. I know some scouts end up being something completely different in the Squadron, and never leave the wire. I don't think anyone can tell you what the odds are Hun. Its just... possible.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

♥Proud Army Wife♥ & ♥Mommy to Madison!♥

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM

It can happen with any job. And there is no reason to try to get into statistics and things like that- it is irrelevant in the end. You can't dwell on the "what if's" or you will drive yourself mad. Good luck!

KBM99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I completely agree with you on the what ifs things.. I have been doing GREAT until today.. Today his recruiter called and he goes to swear in on Tuesday.. We thought it was going to be this thursday but the  recruiter said he's going to go tomorrow to reserve his job at the recruiters office and then tuesday he will go stay at a hotel and wednesday he will swear in.. Its been such a stressful month trying to figure out what and whens.. And I've been doing great until today.. I'm so nervous.. I'm very excited for him and proud of him and I know this is what he wants to do and he knows I'll be here to support him no matter what.

Quoting usmclife58:

It can happen with any job. And there is no reason to try to get into statistics and things like that- it is irrelevant in the end. You can't dwell on the "what if's" or you will drive yourself mad. Good luck!

amberdy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:09 PM

It really depends on his unit, where they deploye to, etc.  My husband isn't infantry, but he is in an infantry unit so when he's deployed, he's just as likely to get hit as the infantry guys. 

amberdy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Just curious, why did he choose infantry?

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:11 PM

The roller coaster emotions are normal. You will continue to be up and down for awhile. Just hang on and enjoy the ride :)

KBM99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM

he wants to be in the action.. And he wanted to do airborne ranger but he scored a little to low to qualify for that.. So he decided to do infantry or artillery but he was told my his cousin that he will like infantry better for certain reasons.. I told him not to be STUCK on infantry and that he needs to look at the other jobs too and just see if he'd like something else..

Quoting amberdy:

KBM99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:18 PM

What is yours husbands MOS?

Quoting amberdy:

It really depends on his unit, where they deploye to, etc.  My husband isn't infantry, but he is in an infantry unit so when he's deployed, he's just as likely to get hit as the infantry guys. 

amberdy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I would always just recommend people joining the Army to choose an MOS that will give them skills when they get out.  There are other ways to be in the action.  The good things about infantry are that they almost always get bonuses and they promote quickly.  My husband wishes he was infantry for those reasons.

Quoting KBM99:

he wants to be in the action.. And he wanted to do airborne ranger but he scored a little to low to qualify for that.. So he decided to do infantry or artillery but he was told my his cousin that he will like infantry better for certain reasons.. I told him not to be STUCK on infantry and that he needs to look at the other jobs too and just see if he'd like something else..

Quoting amberdy:

Soniam301
by Sonia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Lets just put it this way...He is more likely to die on his way home from work in a car accident then in combat. I did a lot of reasearch on this subject a few years back when my husband was a recruiter. Anywho. GL.

I also want to say, my husband is 11b and it took 11 years before he got assigned to a unit that deployed. It is unusual but it can happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)