Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sending cookies to Iraq...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello ladies!  I'm sending my husband some cookies and brownies tomorrow in his care package.  I have a food saver thing that vacuum seals the food, but he said the cookies still weren't soft when he got them.  It takes about 5 days for the packages to get from here to Iraq.  Do any of you have any suggestions on how to keep my brownies and cookies fresher longer?  I thought about adding bread to the cookies....would that work for the 5 days they are in the mail?  What about the brownies?

Thanks for your help!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wiser_then_ever
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM

good luck mama!! we found NO WAY to get them fresh.. :( sucked cause we tried during xmas when i was at my moms and made a whole bunch of goodies. not even the candies tasted right :(

asaffell
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:04 PM

You might have a better shot if you use shortening instead of butter, but even then, there's no way to tell.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I put mine in a ziplock bag and got as much air out as possible. And then I put the bags into some toss-away tupperware containers. DH said they were still soft and fresh.

LancesMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

It could be your recipe too. You may need to take them out of the oven sooner, or use a different type of fat.

You could also try placing a piece of bread in with them. I have heard that it makes cookies soft and the bread hard.

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I put mine in ziplock bags, with a slice of bread, and froze them. My husband said they were always fresh.

dustinbailey
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

i just put my in a ziplock bag. i used my food saver but hubby said that they weren't fresh when he got them. he said they were gooie, warm, and tasted fresh when they were just in the ziplock bag. lol

Quoting usmclife58:

I put mine in a ziplock bag and got as much air out as possible. And then I put the bags into some toss-away tupperware containers. DH said they were still soft and fresh.

ArmyWife122607
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Well whats the point in buying a food saver then?  I bought one, too...and use it only for sending him cookies, brownies, etc.  Sounds like there's not really anything I can do.  I can only spoil him so much from a distance!  Thanks for all your help though ladies!  Very much appreciated!

Quoting dustinbailey:

i just put my in a ziplock bag. i used my food saver but hubby said that they weren't fresh when he got them. he said they were gooie, warm, and tasted fresh when they were just in the ziplock bag. lol

Quoting usmclife58:

mblucky
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM

What I did was put them in a zip lock container (white container with blue lid) and put a fresh piece of bread in it on top of the brownies and the cookies I sent my hubby when he was deployed and he said when he got them they were always soft, what the bread does is sucks all the air so the bread will get hard so the cookies and brownies wont..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)