Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

infantry and artillery..

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM
  • 19 Replies

I know I've been posting a lot but.. What is the difference between infantry and artillery? My husband wanted to go into artillery but his uncle talked him out of it.. He said they do a lot more sitting around in artillery and infantry is more in the action. But we talked to a recruiter who is artillery that is all in the action and said he has been in a lot of action and that they do a lot of infantry stuff and a lot of blowing stuff up with tanks and stuff.. So if you are infantry and if you are artillery why did you pick that job? And do you wish you would of chosen the other job?? My husband is still having a hard time deciding between the two and he goes to MEPS next wednesday and goes to reserve his job tomorrow..

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prego7386
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:34 PM

well non of us would have been in those jobs..no females im like 99percent sure. my ex was artillery and he did both afghan and Iraq. he was still in the action and had to go collect confirmed kills a few times so yeah they still see it.

Mrs.McElroy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I am not familiar with Artillery, but my husband is light infantry and they are a rapid deployment unit. So they do see quite a bit of action when they are deployed. And when they are home they might have a coupe of slow months in the beginning but then they'll be right back into deployment training mode. Days-weeks at a time out in the field, long hours of training anyone new, so they do stay pretty busy even when they are home. 

violinjewel
by Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Bump.

First_One_8_18
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM

PP is right. Women don't have those jobs. We can't do the actively seeking firefight positions. 

KBM99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM
Haha I just realized what I put and I know that women can't be in those jobs stupid me.. What I meant was if anyone knows someone close that's in the job.. Like SO, brother, father, ect lol

Quoting prego7386:

well non of us would have been in those jobs..no females im like 99percent sure. my ex was artillery and he did both afghan and Iraq. he was still in the action and had to go collect confirmed kills a few times so yeah they still see it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Recruiters lie, alot of them do anyway...anyway my husband is infantry and said artillary has to call in and get permission to actually shoot any of their wepons, which by the time they get approval usually it's too late..the infantry is a lot more action. Depending on what your husband wants lots of action/not so much action should determine which job he picks.

anyway my husband is a straight up recruiter, and has been in the army 8 years now, we've been married for 5 1/2 so if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I know how scary being new to the military can be!

anikahaynes1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Quoting Mrs.McElroy:

I am not familiar with Artillery, but my husband is light infantry and they are a rapid deployment unit. So they do see quite a bit of action when they are deployed. And when they are home they might have a coupe of slow months in the beginning but then they'll be right back into deployment training mode. Days-weeks at a time out in the field, long hours of training anyone new, so they do stay pretty busy even when they are home. 

My husband is light infantry too, and his training between deployments really wasn't that bad, Id say maybe once every 2 or 3 months they'd go out to the field for 30 days at a time, but honestly, I dont think their training scheduale is all that bad. It is a LOT better than recruiting hours that is for damn sure! I cant wait to get back into deployment cycles and all that, SO much better.

asaffell
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Artillery is big weapons. Still dangerous, but not as one on one. Then again, almost every job has the potential to be dangerous anymore - but if being in the action makes him happy, he won't be happy in most other specialties. My husband really wanted to be a combat engineer, but got stuck in intel/comm. He's been up and down miserable.

amberdy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM

My husband is light infantry and it sucks.  He is gone for 4-6 months every year for deployment on a rotation, he is hardly home when he's home because they are constantly at schools, in the field, at the range, doing night seizures, etc.  I don't know how other light infantry units work but our's is no cake walk.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Quoting Mrs.McElroy:

My husband is light infantry too, and his training between deployments really wasn't that bad, Id say maybe once every 2 or 3 months they'd go out to the field for 30 days at a time, but honestly, I dont think their training scheduale is all that bad. It is a LOT better than recruiting hours that is for damn sure! I cant wait to get back into deployment cycles and all that, SO much better.

anikahaynes1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Where are you guys stationed at? In like 8 months we will be moving back up to ft. drum, where my husband was first stationed when he first joined the army 8 years ago! LOL its nice to be going back, and he had great command there. no being an infantry wife isn't easy sometimes, but I dont think its terrible either, since most days when they werent on a strict training scheduale they were home by 3 or 4, on strict training days maybe 6, and of course all the field times, and what not, but i dont know, maybe recruiting is just that bad that infantry life seems like heavan! LOL

Quoting amberdy:

My husband is light infantry and it sucks.  He is gone for 4-6 months every year for deployment on a rotation, he is hardly home when he's home because they are constantly at schools, in the field, at the range, doing night seizures, etc.  I don't know how other light infantry units work but our's is no cake walk.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Quoting Mrs.McElroy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)