Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Packages for Deployed Military

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:39 AM
  • 28 Replies

This is my first post on this site and am hopeful that i will find lots of ideas...I am already trying to figure out my Christmas care pkgs for my son and his entire unit that is on deployment...unfortunately for them, they are on a very remote "base" where chow hall is almost non-existent and there is no ph or any way of getting needed items...they get to catch a heli ride twice a month to go get necessities...the base is also so remote that my last package took 3 weeks to arrive....with the holidays i would really like to have a Christmas Package "drive" in my community for him and his entire unit so that they can stock up and have much needed items on hand....food is most important as MRE's are not the best!   Problem I am having.....shipping.  The cost to ship even basic toiletries and food is expensive...does anyone know how/where I could possibly contact someone that could help with the shipping costs?  I realize that the time is takes to get pkgs delivered wont change so I just need to mail early...but if a lot of donations are collected, i wont be able to pay to send all of the items to them....any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....thanks so much :))

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMarineLovesMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM

You could probably get in touch with local churches and see if they would be willing to help.  One thing I did when I would send enough for everyone in hubbys shop was cram as much heavy stuff into the flat rate boxes as possible lol.  Also Blue Star Mothers send out care packages, you can find your local chapter at www.bluestarmothers.org and see if you can work out some type of fundraiser with them to get everything sent.  GL!

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Bake lots of cookies! and goodies like that

I'm always baking brownies and cookies and sending them for my husband to share with his squad. I'll be on skype with him and someone will knock on his door asking for brownies or to see if I can mail some more lol 

fairymom2316
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I agree with getting in touch with the local church, I'm sure they will be more than happy to help...

fairymom2316
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

I'm always baking brownies and cookies and sending them for my husband to share with his squad. I'll be on skype with him and someone will knock on his door asking for brownies or to see if I can mail some more lol 

How do you keep them fresh?? I would love to send hubby some homemade! =)

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Quoting fairymom2316:

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

Well, we're stationed in Germany... so it only takes 3 days to get there.

I just make them in a disposable pan and wrap them up and send them away with a plastic knife lol 

I'm not sure how to do it, but I know if you are in an area where it is taking more than 2 weeks to get a package, you can make them in mason jars. There's recipes online.

But when I was in the states for the deployment before this one, I would send cookies and just put them in tuperware and he said whenever they got there they weren't stale. I'm sure you could just put the brownies in airtight tuperware or something

usmclife58
by Nikki on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Welcome!!

Not sure about cutting the cost of shipping. I always use the flat rate boxes. Good luck!

AMarineLovesMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Tupperwares work, but the bags that you can suck the air out of are awesome!  I sent lots of baked goods in those and hubs said they were still really fresh and had to fight his guys for them lol.

Quoting fairymom2316:

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

reneedrh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Okay so I know this is going to sound wierd but go to taco bell and arby's and steal the sauce! McDonald's would sometimes give me extra (especially the chinese mustard stuff for the nuggets) Pack them in crush proof containers.  My brothers packages used to get stolen when I sent him this, cause they were eating MRE's only too. 

hobbitswife04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM

With shipping, go with flat rate boxes. You can ship a package up to 70lbs for a set price, I think its $12 for the large boxes. If you are going to do a drive, ask for donations to help with shipping costs. 

PmhTaylor
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM

When I sent Christmas packages to my husband and his entire unit, we did a lot of baked goods like someone else mentioned.  And yes the bags that you suck the air out of work very well.  Also wrap each cookie individually in saran wrap.  It's a lot of work I guess, but it helps.  And then you feel like they are more fresh and sanitary once they arrive. 

We also sent lots of small packages of condiments like one person said.  Also lots of travel sized shampoos, lip balm, hand sanitizers, plastic knives-forks-spoons, canned foods,and baby wipes, etc....

As far as shipping, our church helped out with donations of items as well as the money for shipping.  Some people gave money and others gave the items. That way they could choose what they wanted to donate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)