• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for ladies in the military. *Long*

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ok I'm the middle of seven & my mom is an abusive alcoholic & all of my older siblings graduated including me but two of my younger sisters got pregnant in high school and dropped out but not my middle sister & she be the next to graduate but she's iffy abt college because our mom doesn't give a damn.

Our adoptive grandma is insisting she join the air force because its easier but I wouldn't know. I wanted to join the army but I had preexisting problems that didn't allow it. She would succeed & excel in any branch in the military but is there anything you ladies can tell me abt your experience in the military?

I'm not pushing the military idea on her but I really want to find away to help her get a good education & career & she knows this. She's thinking abt it & I know the best thing is talk to a recruiter but I was wondering abt views from experienced military members.

She has the chance to go far & she wants it. She's worried abt what's she's going to do after graduation and she's asked for my advice. Thank you if you made it this far I know its long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Navygurl76
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM
It's one of the best decisions I ever made. I had no direction when I was in HS. I joined to get away from home, 16 yrs later I excel at it. I had my own apartment when I was 19(w/ room mates) and my own car. I was able to see the world on the governments dime. Is it rough sometimes, yes. But what job isn't? I'm Navy, so I don't know much about the Air Force. You can PM me if you have any specific question about being a woman in the military.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Im not in right now, but got out a little over a year ago. Its a great decision for people who are willing to give everything to join. Some people when i was weren't really the "military" type and ended up getting in trouble over and over again because they didn't care, they hated being told what to do and such. There's a mind set you really need to have to be able to succeed in the military. You have to be ready for anything.

Also with being a female in the military, you need to be mentally strong. You will get picked on, somewhat discriminated against, and held up to the expectations to the males, so you have to be just as strong, physically and mentally. I don't know about the Air Force though, I was Army.

Probably the toughest part for me while I was still single was beign away from my family.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

♥Proud Army Wife♥ & ♥Mommy to Madison!♥

amberdy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM

My 16 y/o is planning on joining the AF when he graduates because he has no desire at this time to go to college.  I htink it's a great choice.  My husband and I are definitely encouraging our children to join the AF or Navy if they want to go into the military.  We feel somewhat safer with them doing that than the Army or Marines.

angel_bree
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Thank u & I'll keep it in mind. She is in honor classes & has descent grades, they would be better if our mom wasn't how she was. I had a hard time maintaining my grades while in hs, I had to take care of my sisters & my mom didn't care about my education, I dropped out for a yr & graduated a week before I had my dd at 19.

She's the only on living at home & its hard because when mom wants to flip shit her only target is my sister.

She turned 18 last Sept.

Quoting Navygurl76:

It's one of the best decisions I ever made. I had no direction when I was in HS. I joined to get away from home, 16 yrs later I excel at it. I had my own apartment when I was 19(w/ room mates) and my own car. I was able to see the world on the governments dime. Is it rough sometimes, yes. But what job isn't? I'm Navy, so I don't know much about the Air Force. You can PM me if you have any specific question about being a woman in the military.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angel_bree
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM
You have to be mentally tough to live with our mom & her mind games. She likes to talk us down & find any low blow to hurt us.

She once told me my dad committed suicide just to make me cry. He didn't he died in a car accident. She calls us names to make her look like a better person. She calls us wh*res, sl*ts,c*nts & such.

My sisters had great grades & very active in sports, we weren't good enough for her. Out of my 3 baby sisters she stayed in school & sports away from alcohol & drugs.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Im not in right now, but got out a little over a year ago. Its a great decision for people who are willing to give everything to join. Some people when i was weren't really the "military" type and ended up getting in trouble over and over again because they didn't care, they hated being told what to do and such. There's a mind set you really need to have to be able to succeed in the military. You have to be ready for anything.

Also with being a female in the military, you need to be mentally strong. You will get picked on, somewhat discriminated against, and held up to the expectations to the males, so you have to be just as strong, physically and mentally. I don't know about the Air Force though, I was Army.

Probably the toughest part for me while I was still single was beign away from my family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Navygurl76
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM
That's good that she is 18 already. I was 17 and had to have my mom sign for me.
Maybe take her to a recruiting office, so she can see what the AF has to offer. Joining will help her gain independence and help her get away from her situation w/ your mom.
My brother joined the Navy 12 yrs after I did. He was accepted to college and everything, but he just finished up his first sea tour and is on shore duty as of last month. His home life wasn't bad life your sister, but he is way more inpependent then what he was when he first came. He is thinking about making it a career like his big sister. Lol!
Good Luck to her!

Quoting angel_bree:

Thank u & I'll keep it in mind. She is in honor classes & has descent grades, they would be better if our mom wasn't how she was. I had a hard time maintaining my grades while in hs, I had to take care of my sisters & my mom didn't care about my education, I dropped out for a yr & graduated a week before I had my dd at 19.

She's the only on living at home & its hard because when mom wants to flip shit her only target is my sister.

She turned 18 last Sept.

Quoting Navygurl76:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Sounds like anywhere else is a good place to be. I would encourage the military. Its a great way to live and find guidance and independence, and learning to be self sufficient. =)

Quoting angel_bree:

You have to be mentally tough to live with our mom & her mind games. She likes to talk us down & find any low blow to hurt us.

She once told me my dad committed suicide just to make me cry. He didn't he died in a car accident. She calls us names to make her look like a better person. She calls us wh*res, sl*ts,c*nts & such.

My sisters had great grades & very active in sports, we weren't good enough for her. Out of my 3 baby sisters she stayed in school & sports away from alcohol & drugs.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

♥Proud Army Wife♥ & ♥Mommy to Madison!♥

Crazy_Daze
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I agree with what everyone's said. I was in for 4 years and it is tough, but it's one of the few things I'm very proud of and happy that I did. Even if she joined and ended up not liking it, a lot of doors open when you get out that wouldn't normally be an option. A lot of employers want the leadership traits that the military can help you with. I would tell her to think about what job she wants and if she might want to do that in the civilian world (if she gets out), what she really wants out of it (that would help determine what branch to join). Talk to a few recruiters from every branch, but don't let them fool you, it's not all rainbows and college money. But anything sounds better than living in the situation she's in! Good luck to you both!

prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

not there yet..in the process of finishing my paperwork and heading to MEPS myself. but here is a bump :)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

If she is wanting to join the military, I think it is a great choice. But if she is being pushed into it, I don't agree. It is a big decision, and a big commitment, and one should not feel forced to do it. Lots of luck to your sister!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)