Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help, ASAP!!!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a friend that is wanting to get into the army.  She is currently
going through a divorce.  She had already been to meps and signed papers,
but they called her yesterday (her recruiter) and told her she was
temporarily disqualified, since she is soon to be a single parent.  Now if
she gets married, and then something happens and she gets deployed or is
away for training, will they allow her husband to keep her daughter, or will
her daughter have to go to her bio. father?  Also, if she was to sign over
guardianship and something happens like that will the child stay with the
guardian that is established? Or will the child have to go with her
biological father?  If they were to go to court to get it approved to move
out of state, would they allow the child to move out of Illinois if it is
her mother that is enlisted? Could she possibly do that before she gets her
orders to her duty station or should she wait until after she gets her
orders to her duty station?  You may not know the answers, but I'm hoping
you can help, and at least lead me in the right direction... Thank you!

If I had to guess they will probably have joint custody with her being the custodial parent.  They live in Illinois tho.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennifer127
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

BUMP!

Airforce3mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I think your friend has a lot of questions that she can ask her recruiter. They will or shold help her thru and tell her what she needs to do. Anyone that is interested in getting in the military,, the recruiters do all what they can to help to make she the trainee gets in.  From what i remember i wold have had to give up my kids to their father if i were to have went in. Not too sure about  step parenting though or the boi father in this situation. Have her call and ask.  Best advice i can give you. You are such a great friend to want to help her out. 

xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM

The biological father can fight the situation in court, and be granted temp. custody in the event that your friend got deployed.

Since she is a newly single parent, she must establish a SOLID family care plan before enlisting.

She needs to go through the courts before enlisting and get a custody order set up with her soon to be ex husband before enlisting in my opinion. The reason why I say this is because the Army is kicking people out for any little issues with their family care plans. She needs to communicate with her ex husband all the issues of deployments and such and have that put in the custody order.

brennajoy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

BUMP!

jennifer127
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Quoting Airforce3mom:

I think your friend has a lot of questions that she can ask her recruiter. They will or shold help her thru and tell her what she needs to do. Anyone that is interested in getting in the military,, the recruiters do all what they can to help to make she the trainee gets in.  From what i remember i wold have had to give up my kids to their father if i were to have went in. Not too sure about  step parenting though or the boi father in this situation. Have her call and ask.  Best advice i can give you. You are such a great friend to want to help her out. 

I do want to help her out, for real.  One reason is because she has become a really good friend of mine, the other is because I know gettin into the Army is her dream, and another one is because the man that she is divorcing is also my first ex-husband and I know how he is, and I also know he doesn't deserve a child at all.  Another thing is he is $825 in debt to me on child support on our daughter together. I just want to help her out all around, so that she doesn't have to go thru what I went thru, and put her and her child's life on hold because of him!

bramamber
by Amber on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Bump

jennifer127
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

BUMP!

violinjewel
by Julia on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:42 PM

DH used to be a recruiter for the Navy and when this situation happened and they were temp disqual they coudl fix it but had to sign their rights to the child away. im not sure if thats changed...... hmmmmm ill ask my hubby the next time he calls so im going to BUMP!

EagleMom96
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)