Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school holiday/military deployment

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

My husband has been deployed for awhile. We are planning on when he gets back to go on vacation. bad thing is our 8 year old will still be in school. I want to pull him out for 1 week. So here comes the delimia.

Do you tell the school?

Do you send in an " He was sick note?

Do you tell the school to butt out of your personal situation, he hasn't seen his Dad in forever?

It isn't like the normal family, where summertime is vacation time. being a milita

ry family, you have to take vacation when you can:(

01Clomid.gifdeployment survivor

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wiser_then_ever
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM

you can just tell the school he will be out for a wk for fam vacation. parents do it all the time!! just for sure let them know so they arent thinking he's skipping.

hope you have a great vaca!!

amberdy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Most schools in military communities allow a certain amount of excused absences before or after deployments.  Our school district allows for 5 excused absences for deployments.  I'd call the school and ask them what their policy is.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

You should tell the school. They should have no problem giving him the time off. They may even give him his assignments to work on. Tell him to ask for them early and try to get them done so he can enjoy the vacation!

modelmom04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Tell the school so they know what is going on that way you can get his work and he will not be behind.  THere are lots of families that plan a trip during school times cause that is the only time they can go.  If you say he is sick and he is gone a week they will expect a drs note.

MoB.Monk
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Tell them that he is going to be out for a week - see if they can send schoolwork for that week early so it can be done by the time he goes back to school the next week...he can work on it in the car if you are driving somewhere or he can work on it on a plane if you are flying...something he can do to pass time.

bluesky51201
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Our children's school allows so many excused days for deployments.  They can have a couple before the deployment, a couple for R&R, and then a few after the deployment is over.  I think it equals out to eight or so.  If not just tell the school that you're going on vacation or something.  Although mine's only seven and the thought of him missing a week of school for anything makes my head spin, they're going so fast.  I'd worry about him falling behind.

brennajoy
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I would let them know

nemiller
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM

i would tell the school.  at least tell them that he'll be gone for a week, even if i didn't give the exact reason.

asaffell
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Yep, just go to the office and let them know ahead of time. My husband will be back right when my daughter starts her pre-k program, and we're planning on taking her out for vacation as well.

babygirlsofmine
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 5:54 AM

What's the big dilemma? Just inform the the office and his teacher that he's going on a family vacation so she can prepare homework for that week. It's not like they are going to say "No, he can't go"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)