Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

geo bachelor question....UPDATE at bottom

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM
  • 26 Replies

ok so I'll try to not make this too involved. my hubby is deployed to afghanistan right now and right after they come back there will be an entire brigade move to Ft. Bliss. We do not want to go...several reasons (no job for me and 2 yr wait list for housing along with very low BAH as compared to the price of housing off post). Anyway there is a mix-up in DH's ETS date that I dont think is going to work in his favor and it would make his time to re-up right after the brigade move (2 wks after). He wants to change MOS's or if they wont let him, at least request another post. So my thing is why move there if he wont be there but a few months. HOWEVER we live in housing on post here at ft. hood and he is telling me there is no way for him to be a geo bachelor there b/c it would be our choice for me to stay behind and that we can't live in 2 government housing areas at once....any way around this ladies?? I'm just thinking it would be better than dragging my 4 kids there and being "homeless" potentially for a while and then either PCS or have him leave for school pretty quickly.....i know other branches do this differently (have experience with the navy) but not sure about the army....

UPDATE-

We had a battalion FRG meeting and I talked to several people in my husband's chain of command. Here the rule is that a waiver must be signed by his COC....they said they would sign it if he ends up needing to go but the only sticking point it that he can't live in barracks there....and that would be fine...one of his buddies said he could stay off post with him (they said there is also a waiver for us to keep Ft. hood BAH)....but his COC said given the situation, he is unlikely to be sent even tho he was told he was going that was preliminary before anyone looked at re-enlistments and EFMP and such....so most likely we will not be going.

Amanda (27) Mom to Peyton & John 4yr old identical twins, Gavin age 2 and our 1st girl, Shelby born 6/14/10!.......also wife to Army SPC Richardson!! Surviving our 1st deployment....

by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelsJez
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 1:13 AM

There is no way he is going to be able to be a geo-bachelor. Even if you don't go with, you will get BAH for whatever base he is stationed at. Once he signs out of his current base, you will be forced to move out of your on base housing. I know this isn't the news you were looking for... sorry!

xxlilmomma09
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM
This. Im pretty you can't live on post while he is living in the barracks in Fort Bliss. You are going to have to move off post more than likely. Also, the BAH rate will be for Fort Bliss, not where you are.

Each post has their own rules about geo bachelors. Fort Hood allows geo bachelors to live in the barracks as long as there is room according to barracks management. Fort Bliss might not allow geo bachelors to live in the barracks. Your husband may have to live off post.

Good luck! It's definitely a tough situation.

Quoting KelsJez:

There is no way he is going to be able to be a geo-bachelor. Even if you don't go with, you will get BAH for whatever base he is stationed at. Once he signs out of his current base, you will be forced to move out of your on base housing. I know this isn't the news you were looking for... sorry!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 7:21 AM

The part about you not being able to stay in housing whlie he is stationed at a different post is correct however the BAH is based on where the family is not the soldier.  We just did this in '09.  Hubby PCS'd to Fort LeanardWood for a 6 month class (yes it was a PCS) and the kids and I stayed where we were since we did not live on base at Fort Bragg.  Our BAH never changed it stayed at the Fort Bragg rate.

gingerwife
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM

no. the BAH is based off of where the soldier is. NOT the family. we aren't the ones getting paid and we aren't the ones with orders. your husbands class is a lot different then her deciding that the odds are against her to not move to Bliss. She WILL NOT get BAH for Hood. She will get it for where her husbands orders are, and that will be Bliss.

Quoting fammatthews4:

The part about you not being able to stay in housing whlie he is stationed at a different post is correct however the BAH is based on where the family is not the soldier.  We just did this in '09.  Hubby PCS'd to Fort LeanardWood for a 6 month class (yes it was a PCS) and the kids and I stayed where we were since we did not live on base at Fort Bragg.  Our BAH never changed it stayed at the Fort Bragg rate.

hobbitswife04
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I agree.

Quoting KelsJez:

nemiller
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I doubt you're going to be able to get around it.  You could move into off-base housing in your current area, but I don't think they'll let you stay in on-base housing after he checks out.

mamamissy23
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM

My husband was a geo bachelor for about 6 months back in 08, we had went from a 2 military income to a 1 military income and we struggled so I moved home and he moved in the barracks until we got back on our feet. The only way you would be able to do this is if you moved home or off base and he moved into the barracks. You wouldnt be able to stay in any housing if he is in the barracks. Why would you be homeless? There are alot of people stationed at bliss and I am 100% sure not one of them is homeless, you go and find an apartment in your price range and you live there. your kids are young you find a 3 bedroom apt and you put 2 in each room.

babowes
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Move with...stay with daddy and mae it work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristi483
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Yeah you can't stay in base housing after he has left.

My DH Is Geo-Bachelor right now because we can't sell our house and he is stationed in another state but we aren't in military housing.

However, I don't know if it's different for branch but we get the BAH rate for here in Virginia because this is where we own a home at. (Initially they had it as where he was stationed but we went in and talked to them and it was changed back)

Also, at the base he is at he could loose his geo-bachelor space anytime if there is not room for him. Luckily that has not happened in the year and a half since he has been down there but it could.

Kristi483
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I think it depends. I am not sure if it depends on the situation or the branch or whatever but we get BAH rates for where we the family are. Not where DH is and have for the last year and a half.   They initially changed it to where he was but he went and talked to someone and they changed it back.  We couldn't afford to continue to pay our mortgage with the BAH for where Hubby is.

no. the BAH is based off of where the soldier is. NOT the family. we aren't the ones getting paid and we aren't the ones with orders. your husbands class is a lot different then her deciding that the odds are against her to not move to Bliss. She WILL NOT get BAH for Hood. She will get it for where her husbands orders are, and that will be Bliss.

Quoting fammatthews4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)