Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DODS- is it like free private school or just the same as public school?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM
  • 28 Replies

I'm asking because my kids are going to be three and four this year, and now is around the time for me and the ex husband to be talking about what type of school system we think is best for them...my daughter is going to Pre-K in the fall so I really want her to start life with the best education she can get...and being that they are deinfitly starting school soon I have agreed since I am the military parent (ex husband got out in 2009) its either were gonna keep them grounded in DODS or public school where he lives....I dont know how it has worked for other military brats shuttled off between parents but I am not going to be selfish when it comes to my kids and their education.....

so for those parents who have their kids in DODS, private school or public school, or have been in one of these school systems growing up, how does DODS measure up compared to private school and public school? Thanks in advance

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilnena98
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM

here is a bump

Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM

BUMP!

caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM

BUMP!

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Where do you live? The schools on most US installations are public schools these days, no longer DOD. And, even if they are DOD, they are the same as public schools. My kids have always gone to public schools
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessil83
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Quoting amberdy:

Where do you live? The schools on most US installations are public schools these days, no longer DOD. And, even if they are DOD, they are the same as public schools. My kids have always gone to public schools

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caliessence87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Im stationed at fort sill, Oklahoma and I already know about there being Fort Sill, well Lawton and a majority of that area sits on a reservation or its owned Native American land...my kids right now are in Arkansas with their father and im planning on pcs'ing to fort bragg and coincidently ex hubby may be transferring there also (for school).....whats the curriculum like? and has all 50 states worked with DOD as far as families who move a lot and kids leaving in the middle of the school year??? Ive been in 5 years but im not yet at the school level yet so for that area i am clueless when it comes to kids school and the military

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I've not heard good things about DODDS schools in the States. And, like a PP said, schools on installations can be DODDS or regular public schools. I have heard absolutely that Hawaii schools are horrible. I heard good things about Germany DODDS schools. I think its a base by base basis. (Yes, I know that sounded funny.)

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

My oldest son is a junior in HS and has been to school in NJ, Wa, Ga and back to NJ.  The only place we had a hard time getting his credits transferred were to and from Ga because I think their schools are weird here.  My younger children have been in school in SC, Wa, Ga and we are PCSing back to Wa this month.  The schools usually do what they can to help the kids, but there is only so much they can do.  The curriculum is going to vary by the state and even the school district.

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I agree.  It's just like schools vary state to state and district to district. 

Quoting armywife1229:

I've not heard good things about DODDS schools in the States. And, like a PP said, schools on installations can be DODDS or regular public schools. I have heard absolutely that Hawaii schools are horrible. I heard good things about Germany DODDS schools. I think its a base by base basis. (Yes, I know that sounded funny.)

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

BUMP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)