Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shipping cars

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

We had to deal w/ this when we moved from Hawaii to Virginia but we only had one car so they shipped it, no big deal. From VA we moved up to CT so we both drove (we have 2 cars now). There's a chance we'll move to Washington state next year and I was wondering if the Navy will ship one car. It's a LONG way from CT to WA and I cannot see myself driving one car following my husband all that way even if it's a 3-day roadtrip, KWIM? I'm a VERY nervous driver. So will they ship one car if we drive the other or are we responsible for both?

~ Nicole ~

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
dsebastian23
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I dont know but I will bump for you.

saduncan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM

They should ship one for you.

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM

from what happened to us back in '07 they did not ship cars CONUS.....im not sure if that policy has changed or not..we were moving from WA to VA and they would not ship our Corolla so we had to pay a company to ship our car which cost about $1000 or so 

i know OCONUS they will pay to ship one car for you..

but here's a BUMP for ya! 

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM

They don't ship cars within the States. They only ship it overseas or to AK/HI. You can find a shipping company or sell it if you don't want to drive it. Sorry, but they do give you mileage for it. 

Balancing
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:29 AM

This \/     www.uship.com allows you to put your vehicle out there for bid to get the lowest costing shipper.  I shipped my fathers motorcycle very cheaply from Nevada to Maryland that way.   Either that or consider having a family member, young nephew or something help out.  You would have to pay his/her meals, hotel and flights to/from but maybe that would be a better option.  Good luck!

Quoting thenguyenclan:

from what happened to us back in '07 they did not ship cars CONUS.....im not sure if that policy has changed or not..we were moving from WA to VA and they would not ship our Corolla so we had to pay a company to ship our car which cost about $1000 or so 

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Quoting Balancing:

This \/     www.uship.com allows you to put your vehicle out there for bid to get the lowest costing shipper.  I shipped my fathers motorcycle very cheaply from Nevada to Maryland that way.   Either that or consider having a family member, young nephew or something help out.  You would have to pay his/her meals, hotel and flights to/from but maybe that would be a better option.  Good luck!

Quoting thenguyenclan:

sweet!  BUMP for all the ladies that need to ship cars CONUS :-) 

Aqua_Jen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM
When we moved from wa to ny we were told that shipping a car would be at our own expense. It was going to be about $1000 so we just drove. It wasn't a bad drive at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbasmom0917
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

don't think they ship cars in the states

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)