Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does this mean? Navy related

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM
  • 17 Replies

"the Navy currently does not have sufficient funds in our manpower accounts to allow for normal lead times for Sailors to receive PCS orders". Taken from the story in the link below. I guess if I knew what normal lead times are it would make more sense.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=58491

~ Nicole ~

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM

im gonna say that the Navy has run out of $$ like it does every year and people's orders are getting backed up because the Navy has no $$ 

this is what happened back in 2009 too (maybe 2010 but i dont know) a lot of people I knew had to get extended on their boats and whatnot because they were waiting for orders.....

if this isn't what that means then im sorry :-( but that's my take on the issue....

nmjordan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Quoting thenguyenclan:

im gonna say that the Navy has run out of $$ like it does every year and people's orders are getting backed up because the Navy has no $$ 

this is what happened back in 2009 too (maybe 2010 but i dont know) a lot of people I knew had to get extended on their boats and whatnot because they were waiting for orders.....

if this isn't what that means then im sorry :-( but that's my take on the issue....

Ooooohhhhhhh crap. If that's true, my husband will flip his shit. He hates his boat. He's up for chief this year so if he makes it, they'll switch him to a different boat but if they can't, then I guess he's stuck! Would this apply to going from sea duty to shore duty as well, do you think? He has about 13 months left on sea duty THANK GOD. If they extend his sea duty because they can't get other orders for him I will flip the hell out.

~ Nicole ~

KWnavywife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I am taking it to mean that instead of getting your orders 6 months before you have to separate from your current command, you are going to be getting like a 2 month window. OR it means that they aren't going to allow for so much separation leave. I know DH got like 40 days between his last duty stations. So for example, if your separation date is 2/16 your report date would be 2/26 instead of 3/16. Does that make sense?

nmjordan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Quoting KWnavywife:

I am taking it to mean that instead of getting your orders 6 months before you have to separate from your current command, you are going to be getting like a 2 month window. OR it means that they aren't going to allow for so much separation leave. I know DH got like 40 days between his last duty stations. So for example, if your separation date is 2/16 your report date would be 2/26 instead of 3/16. Does that make sense?

Yep I get that, and it sucks!

~ Nicole ~

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Quoting nmjordan:

Quoting thenguyenclan:

Ooooohhhhhhh crap. If that's true, my husband will flip his shit. He hates his boat. He's up for chief this year so if he makes it, they'll switch him to a different boat but if they can't, then I guess he's stuck! Would this apply to going from sea duty to shore duty as well, do you think? He has about 13 months left on sea duty THANK GOD. If they extend his sea duty because they can't get other orders for him I will flip the hell out.

i guess it depends on the detailer too...my hubby was supposed to get off his boat in October 2009...he had to extend until November which isn't that bad..especially since he re-enlisted in September '09 .....but his detailer was really pushing himself though :-) 

some people had to wait much longer than a month to receive orders unfortunately :-/  and my hubby was also going from sea duty to shore duty.......i would just wait and see in your case....13 months is still a long whiles away....

your hubby can't re-enlist until about 3 months before is EAOS date anyways ^_^  so when that finally happens i would just play really nice with the detailer ^_^ 

songbird2716
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM
I'm pretty sure it's referring to the amount of time you have your orders before they take effect as lead time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Actually, if is is promoting, this might not mean much because his current boat might not have need for a chief.

Also, DOD works off of a fiscal year so this will change around Oct.

Quoting nmjordan:

Quoting thenguyenclan:

LexRamp
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

What some of the girls here have said....it is going to mean less time from when you find out where your new duty station will be and when you are supposed to be there.

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Interesting that they even care enough to tell you. The army's been behind for years but doesn't bother to tell anyone. 

musicmomma_89
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM

A lot of guys we know that are finishing A school have this happening. They finished school 6 months ago and still don't have new orders yet and are just sitting around on hold cause orders are backed up. Then when they do get them it's "here's you orders, you have 3 days to get there." (that's what happened to my husband)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)