Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO stressed!! how does all this work!!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM
  • 17 Replies

okay so dh graduates basic march 4th. And we have decided that it would be easier to just drive straight from graduation to his first duty station. From GA to TX. Rather than have me drive to GA and back to OH, and then to TX. So i need help.... i want to have everything out of our house by the time i leave for graduation. So we need to hire movers. will they move it down there and put it in storage because our house will not be available untill april 1st. I want to be here to make sure everything gets out. and then ive packed alot of stuff and was planning on packing it all. will they move all the stuff ive packed?? and who do i call to set this up? do i have to pay for the movers upfront? And if we hire movers will the army still pay for our hotels and gas and stuff? Do they reimburse you or will they pay for 3 weeks at a hotel? im sorry for all the questions but if i wait untill the travel briefing it will be too late because i will already be in GA. So any help is greatly appreciated!!! Im just super stressed trying to figure out where im going to get all this money from!! 

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamissy23
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

bump

lilnena98
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The only way you will get reimbursed for the move is if you do it yourself which is called a DITY!! You can hire movers to pack your stuff and drop it off in Tx. Which you will have to have a storage place all ready or somewhere to store it till you get your place. Now, if the army moves you they will go and pack everything for you and they will store it for you till you get your house. You don't pay for that. Can you call and see if you can get a earlier briefing so you can get your house in order?  Once you get to Tx they will pay up to 10 days I believe. I saw your going to Bliss. not sure if it has changed but contact lodging at Bliss and see if they have rooms for the days you will need, because before If lodging had room and you didnt stay there you wouldn't get reimbursed. Like I said not sure if it has changed. Saave all your receipts because your DH will need them when he does finance. I think I left some stuff out. Good luck with your move.

Vantrice
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM

How are you going to your duty station after basic?  Or are you saying he's graduating tech/ait?  Only reason I ask is b/c usually orders don't come out until you graduate your schooling.

xxxAthena
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM

when my husband and i were married we moved all of our stuff to his parents house our self and then went to our duty station. we arranged the military movers to go to his parents house pick it up and take it for us. If you have your military id already you need to go to the TMO office at your closest base and ask them for help planning the situation out. just tell them what you just told us and they should be abel to help you.

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Do you know if you will get a house there yet? It may be easier and better financially to let him go, get a house, and then send for you. Then the army can move your stuff and you don't have to pay for a hotel or all of it up front. Plus, orders can change and it would really suck to move all your stuff into storage and his orders get changed. AND, miliary movers do not put things into or out of storage units. They aren't allowed to. I'd think everything over and compare numbers. If it was me, I'd let him go first in this situation. 

Balancing
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM

You could call TMO (Transportation Mobility Office ) to setup movers but you need to have his orders from GA to TX and schedule a pick up at your home in Ohio.  You could have your parents be there to do the move for you... you would just need to have a POA and letter of permission with your parents.  Likely, you will need to setup an account through www.move.mil  (which warning seems to be created by aliens) and then from there get in contact with the TMO office ( I would assume in Georgia) to have the move setup and submit the orders along with your husband's POA for you to do this on his behalf. 

My hubby didn't do basic training - and we got married after he was in the military but we did a move of all of our household goods from Michigan while he was still in TX for his (AIT equivalent training).  they held our hhg while we were in Montgomery for a training for a month and it met us in Nebraska. 

I think they hold HHGs for 90 days with no charge of storage.  You can't setup a delivery date until you have a street address.  The military pays for the movers.  Typically they pack everything for you and will have repack the items you have packed and/or make you sign a waiver for those items that state they are not responsible if the item is damaged in the move.  The entire pack-out, load process takes 3-4 days depending on the amount of stuff you have.

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I've never done a move and then waited for the military to reimburse me....I know it's possible but I doubt it's a simple process. If you wait until the briefing,  you will get DLA-dislocation allowance that will help cover the cost of moving and staying in a hotel until you figure out your housing situation, but once it's gone it's gone.  If you want to be reimbursed for the cost of the actual drive you need to do a partial dity and you will get money based on the mileage/weight in your vehicle......but I'm pretty sure you'd need to set that up ahead of time.  The military will hold your belongings in storage for up to 90 days if you need extra time to find a house.....but again, I think you'd have to have set everything up with the mililtary ahead of time because if you have it moved on your own, then you're on your own.  I hope this helps a little bit....I guess I personally wouldn't recommend trying to do it on your own and then counting on being able to get it refunded....but maybe someone else here has had a different experience! 

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I didn't even catch that part. Yes, if he's only going to AIT then you may not be authorized to move with him. 

xoutstarrs
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Hes graduating from OSUT its basic and ait together. 

asaffell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM

You have to set everything up with TMO before you guys can move. They'll make an appointment for the movers to come out. If you're moving yourself, you still have to head to TMO. I don't know how feasible this is without him getting to the duty station first, mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)