Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Navy Schools

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

I know in the army that if a school is longer thn 20 weeks it is considered a PCS move. What are the specs on PCS moves regarding school lengths?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

BUMP

I know in the Marine Corps it was 6 months when we moved for his MOS school, but I don't know about the Navy.

musicmomma_89
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

It's the same. They throw a fit about it if you try to move your family with you for school though. Even though it's technically allowed.

Quoting asaffell:

BUMP

I know in the Marine Corps it was 6 months when we moved for his MOS school, but I don't know about the Navy.

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Good. DH may be going to a joint service school operated by the Navy and they are saying he can't bring us. But, I know the army says we can go. So all we have to do is fight it?

asaffell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I really don't know if you can fight it. We also didn't get reimbursed for travel because it wasn't a PCS move, just a TCS move.

Quoting armywife1229:

Good. DH may be going to a joint service school operated by the Navy and they are saying he can't bring us. But, I know the army says we can go. So all we have to do is fight it?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion
that democracy means that
'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

- ISAAC ASIMOV

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The army doesn't do TCS moves anymore, so its either TDY (less than 20 weeks) or PCS. The problem they're running into is what the Navy does. Which I don't understand. The army is footing the bill so why does the navy care?

asaffell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Might have something to do with how the school runs or what the housing situation looks like.

Quoting armywife1229:

The army doesn't do TCS moves anymore, so its either TDY (less than 20 weeks) or PCS. The problem they're running into is what the Navy does. Which I don't understand. The army is footing the bill so why does the navy care?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion
that democracy means that
'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

- ISAAC ASIMOV

br05
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Like the pp said 6months. Neighbors of mine just got moved here to RI from Spain for 6months for school and then they are pcs'ing to Florida. The Navy paid for and is paying for it all. He didn't want to move his family for the 6months but for some reason they did anyways. Not sure if it makes a difference that they were overseas? Goodluck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I think it really depends because when hubby's first submarine went to decom, only the Nukes family's for the most part got to move as they would be there til decom was over. My husband was there for 9 months ( "coner' ) but that wasn't long enough for a move because they weren't going to get stationed there afterwards & weren't there for the end of decom. We weren't going to anyway because he was coming right back to the base we were at.

armywife1229
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Well, we'd have to live off-post, but thats what BAH is for. I mean, it would actually save the government money than paying him TDY, lodging, family sep, and the BAH for me here. The BAH in MD is $1000 more than the one in FL.

bramamber
by Amber on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)