Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deployment Questions...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

My husband just got out of active duty Army in August and is now going to be deploying with the ARNG. We went through one deployment during AD so I know how it works but now I got some questions and thoughts about how it will work with the ARNG. So, I guess the simpliest is to just write out my questions and if you can answer them then great if not maybe you can direct me as to who to contact for the answers.

#1 When does his pay change? He leaves for training Feb 26th and will pretty much be at training from then until he deploys which is supposed to be May/June.

#2 Will we get Tricare again? Our 180 days just got up Feb 6th so we (me and the kids) are without health insurance for the moment. I just had a baby in November and then had surgery last month.

#3 Is there a program that helps with childcare? Like during AD deployments on post when we were at Ft. Lewis, WA a wife or spouse could have a certain amount of free hours of childcare each month while their spouse was deployed and a certain amount before and after deployment as well.

Ok, I think those are main questions right now. If you can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I'm not sure how it works with ARNG, but I do know that allowances based on deployment take about a month to kick in. As far as childcare, it really depends on the base.

momof2armybrts
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Well we don't have a base technically , we are in our home town or mine rather and there's not an actual base here not like you would think. Ok, it takes about a month to kick in but is that a month after they leave for deployment or what? Because he is going to be gone for training shouldn't he get paid full monthly pay for that too ?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You should get insurance back while he is deployed! My husband was ANG and I was put on insuracne when he was activated!

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

My husband deployed twice when he was in the reserves.  The pay will take one or two pay days to get going.  I think your Tricare should start up again right away.  I'm not sure about assistance with childcare. 

momof2armybrts
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

But do they get activated while in training? Shouldn't they be considered active since they aren't able to be at home working and making a paycheck for their family during that time?

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM

If he is in training full time right now, you should start getting paid.

Quoting momof2armybrts:

But do they get activated while in training? Shouldn't they be considered active since they aren't able to be at home working and making a paycheck for their family during that time?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Quoting momof2armybrts:

My husband never left training before being deactived and I still had the insuracne because he was technically considered as being activitated!

momof2armybrts
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

He will be in full time training at the end of the month so next month we may start receiving active duty pay ?

Quoting amberdy:

If he is in training full time right now, you should start getting paid.

Quoting momof2armybrts:

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I think you should, but it's been 6 years so I'm not positive.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM

bump for more info!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)