Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice on my 4yo :(

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm worried about my 4yo daughter. I've been worried about it for some time because she's so far behind other kids her age, but people kept telling me it was normal for a military child or that she is just going at her own pace and she will catch up soon.

Whats wrong is that she isn't learning. She wont even try. I try to teach her new things and she doesn't want to. Her speech has stopped progressing for awhile now too. She wont talk and when she does you can hardly understand her. Her 3yo brother is far more advanced than her in everything. She gets angry when she doesn't know how to do something, but wont let me teach her how. Like she is really mad right now because she doesn't know how to ride her new bike. I tried to show her what to do and she got angry and went inside.

Yet, other times she will do things that I have no idea how she ever learned to do. About a month ago I was trying to show her how to write the alphabet and she got mad and didn't want to do it so I just let her color by herself. Then out of no where she sat down and wrote out her name. Or she came up to me and said "Your name's Nicole" in a completely clear voice. I can't think of anytime she has ever heard someone say my name, everyone we know calls me Nikki.

I was worried I was doing something wrong at first, but I'm doing the same things with my son and he's doing wonderfully. I'm worried that there might be something wrong with her. Whether she has a developmental problem or there is just something bothering her that makes her act the way she has been.

I just don't know what to do. :(

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahJean70
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Have you ever discussed your concerns with her pediatrician?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM

First of all whoever told you its becuase she is a military child needs to be slapped! That has nothing to do with it . Have you spoke with her Ped about all this? I would start there ... hugs

musicmomma_89
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

We've been moving around a lot and have been to 3 different ones. They keep just saying it's normal for a military kid, but she's played with other kids her age in this housing and none of them act like she does.

Quoting SarahJean70:

Have you ever discussed your concerns with her pediatrician?

SarahJean70
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM
Does your branch have Early Intervention services? I would suggest contacting them to see about scheduling an evaluation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM

how in the hell do they think that its normal for a military child.... that doesn't make sense stupid Ped !

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I was worried about my 3 year old. I didn't think she was learning anything at school, that she was far behind everyone else. And then I bought a preschool book and she was showing me all sorts of things that I had no idea she had known. She knew all her letters, the sounds that they made, and some examples of words that start with the letter. She knew some subtractions, matching, all the shapes (and examples like eggs are ovals). Just all sorts of things that she should know, that I thought she didn't know. I guess they like to hide things, lol!

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM
If your branch doesn have anything, check with your state. My youngest receives developmental intervention through the state of NV.

Quoting SarahJean70:

Does your branch have Early Intervention services? I would suggest contacting them to see about scheduling an evaluation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbasmom0917
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

because she is a military child? that right there is dumb! have you talked to her doctor about her? if you haven't, then maybe make an appointment for her.

musicmomma_89
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I'm not sure. I know that the local school does evaluations and has an early education class if your child is found to be behind, but they told me they don't start the evaluations until a little after this school year is out.

Quoting SarahJean70:

musicmomma_89
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

We just got set up with a new dr and are going to see him in 2 weeks. All the other ones just haven't listened to me and brushed it off as a military thing. Hopefully this one will listen. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)