Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hubby wants to join the Air Force

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi. My name is Corianne. My husband is Niko and we have two sons, Collin, age 4.. and Jordan, who is turning 1 in ten days. Today he went to speak with a recruiter about joining the Air Force. This is all new to me. I'm really not even sure what to expect from here on out, so any welcomes or advice is appreciated. Thanks! :)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Welcome!!

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Hello and welcome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM

welcome and right now the best thing to expect is the unexpected becuase nothing in the military is planned for the most part its alot of fly by the seat of your pants  :)

NearSeattleMom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Welcome to the group!

saduncan
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Welcome!!  Does your hubby have any idea what he'd like to do in the AF?  Definitely make sure that he checks around and asks a lot of questions about what the jobs really entail that he looks into.  It can be a great lifestyle for sure, but it all comes down to what you make of it.  :D  You'll find a lot of great resources in here too.

yasbobari
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:22 AM
Welcome!
amberdy
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Welcome to the group. My dh is in the Army, so I don't know much about the AF. My son plans on joining in about a year and a half.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxxAthena
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM

welcome to the group :) way to go on your husband going to the recruiters :) i am a Marine Wife so i don't know much about the Air Force but i will say the military ..while it cant throw you some unexpected curve balls..is also a nice stable career as far as benefits and not having to worry about getting fired in our economy. I love our lifestyle :) my husband has been in 13 years.  My advice would be to grab an ASVAB study guide from books a million before he takes the actual test (the score he gets on that test will determine what he can do for his job) and to also shop around the different branches. if there is a certain job he wants and lets say the air force tells him he didn't score high enough or they are full on that job have him go talk to the others too. HE is selling himself now to them..they want the number..so make them work for him not the other way around :) GL

gagirl1961
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM
My son was AF bound/ asvab done scored high enough/ gone thru meps sign congract just waiting to go to basic/ went to PT did everyhing expected.... about 3 months into the wait his recruiter called said he was DEP discharged they wanted higher scores. RETOOK the ASVAB was 3 points from the. New required score he would no retake bc they take the last score... not the highest soooooo we are 12 dys from leaving for basic in FT Leonardwood in Missouri/ it has be one more crazy road / all I can say is good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Im an af wife, the AF has been wonderful to our family. Work hard and you will be rewarded. The  military lifestyle is a tough one, all i can say is support your service members and remember  work a lot of the time has to come before family. You will meet many wonderful people along your journey and possibly go to some amazing places. Enjoy it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)