Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about pcsing

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM
  • 46 Replies
We are pcsing to benning. Hubbys report date is march 10th. What is the best way to get moved? I mean do any of u know the positive/negative things about moving. Ditty, partial ditty, etc.? Let me know asap! I haven't even started packin yet, cuz im not sure what to do, or what needs to be done in the process.... help!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fisterswife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:44 PM
We always let the movers move us. PCSing is stressful enough. So far mover have been pretty good. Of course things will break or get scratched up even if you move yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FIREFOX1336
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:46 PM

i have decided that i will always let them move us. before we had kids i was all for moving ourselves, but now it is just easier. and i have heard good and bad things about dity moving and making money on it. One family was informed a year later that they were over paid and it was taken out of his pay until it was all paid back

Crystel73
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Dity moves have changed in how much you are paid, what qualifies for gas expenses (distance wise) and a lot of other things! I would let the military move you! They come in, pack it all up, deliver it and on something set it all up for you again! It is great!!!!!!!!!!!

lilnena98
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I let the movers move me. they pack, load, unpack, and put together whatever they take apart. It's less stressful!!  Plus, if you don't have a place to live where you are going to the army will store your HHG for you. If you do a DITY you will have to  get a storage place for your belongings. good luck on your move

SierraLynn
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM

We let the movers come. A DITY move isnt worth the time and stress along with the stress of of just a PCS in general anymore since you dont ge paid hardly as much anymore. Just enought to break even, maybe.

MrsMWF
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:16 AM

We are in the process of PCSing. The movers will be here today to pack the house up and tomorrow they will be loading the truck up. We've got enough to deal with so we thought it would just be easiest to let them do it.

beckerswife1429
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

well first things where are you moving from? my husband and i did a ditty move the first time we moved and it was terrible bc you actually have to do everything yourself. but when we PCS'd from ft bragg to benning we had the military do everthing for us and it was great. i didnt lift a finger. they came to our house at bragg and packed everything in one day, including like the pantry and stuff. then 2 days later they delivered it to our apartment in phenix city, al (its really close to benning but better than columbus to live in if you want to live off post). they unloaded everything in  about 2 hours and put all the furniture back together for us where we wanted it. it was great for us but some prefer to move their own stuff.

loving2live
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM
We moved 10 days after my DD was born, so they did everything. Watch them, and make sure they write down everything expensive. Take pics of furniture and electronics in use (ie. of the tv while you are both playing xbox and using DVD player). We went from tx to ga, and it was in storage in ga while we bought a house. I had them unpack everything, cause putting it away from a pile on the floor is so much easier than dealing with boxes! The only broken/missing thing was part of a baby swing that I got $$$ for weeks later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberdy
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM
You have a report date in 3 weeks? I would have them move you, but your husband needs to get to transportation and get the move dates asap. We do a partial dity when we move and the movers take the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Quoting SierraLynn:

We let the movers come. A DITY move isnt worth the time and stress along with the stress of of just a PCS in general anymore since you dont ge paid hardly as much anymore. Just enought to break even, maybe.

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)