Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Tricare and weight loss

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM
  • 20 Replies

Does tricare cover any weight loss type things? Not surgery and I know they dont cover b12 injections. But anything like a dietician or a dr that can put me on some sort of diet. I am constantly eating eating eating this has been happening for about 3 weeks now and I gained the 10lbs I lost back....sigh...I feel like I can't control my eating habits for some reason

by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by Ashley on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM
As far as I know, they don't. But i'd call and check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vantrice
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Not sure.  I want to say I've read someone getting to go to a dietician.   ??

bubbasmom0917
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM

u can meet with a dietician on base. just call your regular doctor and discuss it with them and they will set you up to talk to someone about it.

asaffell
by Ashley on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM
I've only heard it in conjunction with weight loss surgeries.

Quoting Vantrice:

Not sure.  I want to say I've read someone getting to go to a dietician.   ??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isabeesmomma
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM

they can do a full metabolic work up give you a referal to a dietitian and perscribe phentermine

KaysMommy19
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM
you will need a referral. Consult your PCM, and tell him/her what has been going on with you. They can refer you to a nutritionist or a dietician. You can get a consult with them, and they'll let you know what is or isn't covered. My SIL had the same thing going on with her, but her eating habits were triggered with my brother being deployed. Her doctor referred her to behavioral medicine. At first, she thought it wasn't appropriate but when she attended she found out her eating habits we're a cause of depression. She didn't realize there was an underlying issue, but she's been doing much better on staying healthy.
mamamissy23
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I dont have a PCM my kids are prime I am standard I have only seen an OB since I have been out.

mamamissy23
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Do I have to have a PCM for that? I dont have one, but I guess I could go find one. Do I just go to any drs and say hey will you be my PCM? lol I dont know how it works. Does phentermine make you all jittery?

Quoting isabeesmomma:

they can do a full metabolic work up give you a referal to a dietitian and perscribe phentermine

KaysMommy19
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM

you can visit tricare online and look at available doctors both on and off post in whatever specialty. 

I don't know much about tricare standard, but tricare online has the pdf file for the listed coverages. Try looking into that. :) 

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Quoting KaysMommy19:

you can visit tricare online and look at available doctors both on and off post in whatever specialty. 

I don't know much about tricare standard, but tricare online has the pdf file for the listed coverages. Try looking into that. :) 

this :-) 

good luck in finding a PCM!! ^_^ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)