Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

korea for a yr?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 25 Replies
Anyone have or had a korea gone for a yr? Are they able to take leave to visit back in the states other than r&r ?

My hubs eanting to go for a yr so we can get base of preference. Says he hate his squadron here so much.
I keep saying no cuz I don't want to not have him for a yr..hard enough to do it 6months. But he's saying he can take leave every few months if he wants. Anyone know about this stuff?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pittawadda
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Army wise, you use to only be able to take a big leave once, it was mid tour leave. There was no other time, unless you go to visit him. That was awhile ago, but I don't think it has changed

Sarah637
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Go with him. It will change it from 1 to 2 years but at least you won't be apart.

Zawifey
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM

My hubby had 12 days encluding travel time to come back and they only let him come back once even though he has a ton of leave saved up. Right now he is wants to re-enlist but the will not give him the time to go do what he needs to. Only a few more months till he gets home.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I think only one leave is permitted for 1 year tours.

armywife1229
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Accompanied tours are now 3 years. Leave is usually only once a year. But you can go see him. Can he reenlist for base preference?

Vantrice
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

bump!

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I know several people who have had a short tour to Korea for a year and they were not able to take leave to the states (other than r&r). Good luck!

amberarend
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM

You get one mid-tour.  I was able to take up to 30 days when I had mine.  I personally would rather be stuck at a crappy place and wait for reup time to try and to a new base, than have hubby go back to Korea without me. 

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM

This

Quoting amberarend:

You get one mid-tour.  I was able to take up to 30 days when I had mine.  I personally would rather be stuck at a crappy place and wait for reup time to try and to a new base, than have hubby go back to Korea without me. 

amberarend
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Oh, and you have to pay for him his ticket there and back when he takes mid-tour.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)