Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General parenting ?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

What age is it good to start with chores for your child? confused

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vantrice
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Hmmm... My twins are 5, and I make them do little things- like clean their room, pick up their toys out of the living room, etc.  But I was just thinking today that it's time to make a "real" chore list.  Now they are reading, etc, so it's time. 

amberarend
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM

DD is 3 and DS is almost 2, and they both have to clean up their toys.  DD is also responsible for getting her dirty clothes to the laundry room.  Other than that, I do everything else. 

tyanneS
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:05 PM
My dd is 2 and she cleans up! I ask her to pick up her toys and put them in her room, throw things away, and pick up laundry!! She also likes to "help" with sweeping, laundry, and dusting. Haha it's never to soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CsMamaB05
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM

My son is 5, and he just cleans up his toys and his room.  After we eat I'll ask him to put his dishes in the sink...sometimes he'll even put them in the dishwasher!  That's really all we do right now. 

proudmom611
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM

my DD is five also, she does little things like cleaning her room, putting her dirty laundry in the hamper she also puts away her clothes after i fold them.she feeds the dog and when he is mouthy with me i make her pick up dog poop. i was just wondering if i should make her do more.

proudmom611
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Quoting CsMamaB05:

My son is 5, and he just cleans up his toys and his room.  After we eat I'll ask him to put his dishes in the sink...sometimes he'll even put them in the dishwasher!  That's really all we do right now. 

yup ive had my daughter putting her dishes in the sink since she was about 3ish. she will vaccum and dust although i go behind her.

Vantrice
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I think at this age (5) it's the perfect time to get them on a routine.  My kids can be mouthy too.  I bet I had to tell my daughter 20 times (literally) today to clean her room.  It eventually happened, but it took alll day.    Fortunately my son loves to clean- or, shall I say "one up" his twin sister.  lol

lilnena98
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM

My son is five also. He cleans his room, puts his clothes in the hamper. He throws out the trash from his bathroom. He has been putting his dishes in the sink since he was about 2.

mylilgooberpea
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM

ive got an 18 month old and i let him "help" close the dishwasher door.. any door for that matter. and he will help put his mega blocks in the bin.. then he will dump it all out again. so ive started the beginnings of chores. And when he does help.. i tell him hes a great helper! weve started the terrible 2s so hes not listening very well.....

proudmom611
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Quoting Vantrice:

I think at this age (5) it's the perfect time to get them on a routine.  My kids can be mouthy too.  I bet I had to tell my daughter 20 times (literally) today to clean her room.  It eventually happened, but it took alll day.    Fortunately my son loves to clean- or, shall I say "one up" his twin sister.  lol

last time my daughter took all day to clean up her room after being told all day i went in and took all her toys out of her room and put them in the garage. I left her books in her room. We made her pick weeds or help around the house and she started earning her toys back slowly. It worked! she isnt told more then once to clean her room anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)