Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindle? Nook? or Not Neccessary?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM
  • 35 Replies

I'm new to the online college course scene which starts Tuesday. Is it neccessary to purchase a Kindle or Nook in case you have books you have to purchase books?  Or not at all?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberarend
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Not necessary.  I just bought regular books.  I wouldn't want to use my kindle for a textbook. 

utahmom22
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Quoting amberarend:

Not necessary.  I just bought regular books.  I wouldn't want to use my kindle for a textbook. 

Why wouldn't you want to use your kindle for a textbook?

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Not necessary.

And I agree about not wanting to use it for a text book. I like to make notes, highlight, see images in color... Text books are just better IMO for school.

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM
I agree :-)

Quoting usmclife58:

Not necessary.

And I agree about not wanting to use it for a text book. I like to make notes, highlight, see images in color... Text books are just better IMO for school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberarend
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Yep!  Plus it won't be as easy to navigate through the book if it is on the kindle.

Quoting usmclife58:

Not necessary.

Pugsmuggler
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM
I know on my nook I can search for words, high light and make notes but I would still take a hard copy for textbooks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chefsparklez
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Almost all my course have text books you read online. I can download the book to my computer and read it from there. My SO thought getting a Nook would be a good idea, so that I did not have to have my laptop all the time in order to read the text book. All my textbooks are security locked so it can only be opened with a password through Adobe. I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions figuring I could transfer my books between media. When it transfers to the Nook there is no way to unlock  the book with my password. Total Fail! I haven't found a way around it yet. Personally, I prefer regular text books, but I am not paying for my books twice. If I were you I'd make sure you can view your books on the Kindle or Nook first. I don't know what school you are attending, but you wouldn't want to have to pay for the books twice if ebooks are included already in your courses. 

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM
I agree that I wouldn't use my nook for school. I prefer actual books for studying. Some online classes provide power point lectures in place of books, but for the rest of them I'd just get the actual book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM

where are you going to school?

KaysMommy19
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Agree.

Quoting amberarend:

Yep!  Plus it won't be as easy to navigate through the book if it is on the kindle.

Quoting usmclife58:

Not necessary.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)