Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:59 AM
  • 26 Replies
I posted this in NC but since it wasn't drama I got no help. So I am sticking to my own clique(here) lol. But onto my post.

Kyla is in preschool. She wont be 5 until December but here they allow your child to go as long as they was born in 2006. Well her preschool teacher suggested she stay behind for a year in preschool. To get caught up. She started last month and she is just now learning how to write. I feel bad because we was working on learning her letters before writing. I don't want her to start before she is ready. But everyone thinks she can and will be ready by August. Another plus is I wont lie its free. Preschool is getting expensive. So I really don't know. I know what's best for her and I know her but if I don't get insight I might just homeschool her forever lol. So what would y'all do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:02 AM
My oldest did two years of preK because she missed the cut off for kindergarten. She was ready but I'm glad she stayed behind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:10 AM
So it worked for the better? I think I'm just not wanting her to grow up. Preschool is 1-4 and kindergarten is full day. Its a combination of it all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:35 AM
Mine aren't in school age yet but if shes ready,go for it! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:07 AM

My son goes to kindergarten with a child who was put in too early, and u can really tell, from behavior and skill level.  My son went to preschool two years, and turned 5 in February and the year was over in may.  i totally agree.  I would really consider letting her go another year.  Not only is the boy having trouble in a structured school environment of all day because he was brought in too soon.  Really take to heart the advice of ur child's teacher as well, they see this kind of thing year after year, then make an informed decision.  I've seen this little boy struggle in my son's class.  Good luck.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I had one that missed the cut off in Maryland and stayed behind but emotionally/maturity wise she wasn't ready at the time but by the time she would have been in Kinder - she would have been ready.

Youngest started at age 4 (mid-November birthdate) and she is very shy.  She is still very shy but she is doing great.  You have 8 months to work with her on writing, letters and sight words.  Get a kinder book and begin working with her.  Enroll her anyway and give it a try.  The worst that could happen is that you decide to pull her out later on vs. never knowing.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I would say put her in and give it a shot. I know here in NC we have a "more at 4" program, where they can start preschool at 4, and kindergarten is for children who are 5 by August 1st. So if pre k is 4 here, and your daughter is 4... she should be fine!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I went through this w/my twins.  They turned 5 on Aug 22, kindergarten started on the 24th.  I struggled with this a LOT.  I called the school at the last minute to un-enroll them, and they talked me out of it.  Maybe my situation is different b/c they have "each other" and not by themselves..  But the counselor told me that holding them back is not ALWAYS the best thing, but sometimes it is.  So, she told me to go ahead and let them start Kinder and we'll go from there.  They are doing awesome.  I'm so glad I didn't hold them back.  The good thing is, with Kinder they can be held back and it's really no big deal.  They told me it would be worse for them to repeat later on, and if you repeat anything, let it be kinder.  Good luck w/ your decision, I know exactly what you're going through- BUT- your dd is just a few months younger than mine were.  I would talk to several teachers, get some opinions.  Not just one.

by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I think if the only concern is academics, you should see where she is at the end of the year.  My oldest was born in November and missed the cutoff for kindergarten, so he started later, but even if he hadn't missed the cutoff, I would have held him back another year.  He needed that time to mature even though academically he was ready.

My younger son on the other hand, is a July baby and I started him on time.  He's a little slower to pick things up academically, but emotionally he's been fine and he's on track.

It just depends on the individual child.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I would hold off on K, or at least not make a decision until the end of the pre-k year. The average cut off for K is in September. Some are earlier others later. So in many states she wouldn't even be able to enroll yet. There is nothing wrong with letting her have more time. She is likely to be the youngest kid in class, so other will have a whole year of development ahead of her. Just somethings to think about. Best of luck. School decisions are tough! My oldest starts K in the fall as well and I am so nervous as well!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM

my daughter is also a December baby and missed the cut off for kindergarten last glad that she missed it because now i can work on her reading skills and whatnot and see where she stands by August.....if anything my daughter could test into 1st grade at the rate that we're going :-) but i may just make her stay in kindergarten even if she tests for 1st grade ^_^ 


i really would just enroll her because you have all this time in order to get her "caught up" you never know...your DD may surprise you and surpass kindergarten standards by August ^_^ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)