Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what dog breed do you recommend if you have kids?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM
  • 80 Replies
We're thinking of getting a dog,we all love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Any breed would be good it all is just how you train them!!! I have heard that heelers will actually heel and keep the kids where they should be. My German Shorthair Pointer and my German Shorthair crossed with a Bluetick Coonhound have both been AWESOME with both of my kids.

Klynn-whitlow
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I think you have to think about so many factors when getting a dog. Its so hard for anyone to suggest one to another person, i think anyway. They aren't really like cats... they are all so different. LOL.

We just got a Shiba puppy though, and so far we love her. She will be smaller. She does great with my two girls. Shiba's are known to be more "cat-like" though, so idk if that is what your looking for or not. But they are VERY pretty! LOL.

Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM
I have o cocker spaniel that is great and the perfect size for us. Labs are also great family dogs just big!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM
It depends on your family and your lifestyle. We have a husky and he's fantastic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM
I've always loved labs and golden retrievers. But so big and hairy.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
averiensmommy07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM
We have a miniature schnauzer. He's awesome with our son and other kids. He can get a little hyper around kids though lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Our first family dog was a chocolate lab. But she was too big for us. Luckly my parents adopted her. I hated having to give her up, but we couldn't find a house at the time that would let us keep her because of het size.

Quoting yasbobari:

I've always loved labs and golden retrievers. But so big and hairy.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pishyah
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Yeah, they are so different and then each individual dog has their own personality.  I can't wait to move because we'll get one then but I'm nervous, LOL!

kaylamae90
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM
We have a boxer. He is great! I can not say this enough look at the local shelter! There are so many great dogs there. I only have a few breeds I personally wouldn't have around kids and that's a husky, chow, and dalmation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM
You wouldn't have a husky around a child? Why is that??

Quoting kaylamae90:

We have a boxer. He is great! I can not say this enough look at the local shelter! There are so many great dogs there. I only have a few breeds I personally wouldn't have around kids and that's a husky, chow, and dalmation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)