Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you see about the Westboro church lawsuit?!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 32 Replies

I cannot believe that any judge would side with these sick people!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I can see why, once our country starts deciding what speech is acceptable, then we are no longer "free."

Klynn-whitlow
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I really hate this "church" and its such a shame that they are allowed to get away with what they do. I understand its free speach... but just like this line from the article... Alito strongly disagreed. "Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," he said. They take it WAY to far!! Enough is enough!

MissG9
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

While I see your point...when does the free speech and rights of one, step on the toes of the free speech and rights of ANOTHER?

Why do these fallen heros and their families not have the right to a peaceful, respectable burial/funeral? Why are people allowed to bombard, and ruin, these personal moments with their "free speech" and "rights"...???

These men and women died for this country, and these very rights...why should they not be able to use them themselves? Why should someone be able to take that away from them?

Quoting Soniam301:

I can see why, once our country starts deciding what speech is acceptable, then we are no longer "free."

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
-Mattel-
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Freedom of Speech. You don't have to like them or what they say but they have just as much right to say what they want as you do… 

Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM
The only way they ( wbc )can take anything away is if you let them.

I think what they do is sick, but there are a few things that are legal that I don't agree with.

Quoting MissG9:

While I see your point...when does the free speech and rights of one, step on the toes of the free speech and rights of ANOTHER?

Why do these fallen heros and their families not have the right to a peaceful, respectable burial/funeral? Why are people allowed to bombard, and ruin, these personal moments with their "free speech" and "rights"...???

These men and women died for this country, and these very rights...why should they not be able to use them themselves? Why should someone be able to take that away from them?

Quoting Soniam301:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM
I think if people would ignore them they would go away...media and the public just fuel their fire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I think if they went after the church for liable then they might have a case. Here is a qoute that kinda shows what I mean, but it's not the best.

Several weeks later, Albert Snyder was surfing the Internet for tributes to his son from other soldiers and strangers when he came upon a poem on the church's website that attacked Matthew's parents for the way they brought up their son.

They do the right to say what they want (unfortunately) but I think the fact that they went beyond that to attack the parents of the soldier online is beyond wrong. When they protest, they stay in generalities, but on the website they went personal.

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Agreed.  It's just so infuriating that it's hard to ignore them.

Quoting Soniam301:

I think if people would ignore them they would go away...media and the public just fuel their fire.

MissG9
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Yea, I don't know.

If my husband died, and there was a sign in my face that said he deserved it, and they hoped more of his fellow Marines would follow suit...I don't know. I just don't see how that an be ignored.

And, in my personal time, when I'm trying to grieve my husband or loved one, I don't need too, nor do I deserve, to see that. I imagine losing your husband to war is emotional enough, the last thing someone needs is to have someone in their face, playing their emotions, taunting them, teasing them, demeaning them....

Sorry, I still have to disagree. They have their right to freedom of speech. But, somewhere else.

Quoting LOswald0314:

Agreed.  It's just so infuriating that it's hard to ignore them.

Quoting Soniam301:

And, there is no combination of words I could say...

But, I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together.
JBDslittlemam08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

YES I SAW THAT IN THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like um EXCUSE ME?

Seriously, I yelled "What the fuck?"

People kinda turned their heads lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)