Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any AD Officers?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

I was wanting to know if there were any AD Officers on this forum?  I'm currently AD and an O, and was wanting to open a discussion about how life is an AD O, married to another O or civilian.  Specifically, how you deal with PCSing together, the competition between you two (if there is any), or anything else that comes to mind.  Are you planning on getting out before your 20?  I'm stuck on finishing up my TA service requirements for my Master's degree and getting out (if we're married by then), or staying in my full 20.  Heck, I'm only 5+ years in, so I have a long time to decide in retirement, but I just wanted to hear about the options/decision points from any others like me. 

Thanks in advance.  :)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Balancing
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM

here is a bump.

for a few of our friends, it has been difficult planning the PCS accordingly especially as they continued down the command track.  One couple, the female ended up getting out after they spent a year a part with a volunteer harship tour with the purpose of choosing to rejoin that in the end didn't happen.  the two individuals were the same MOS and met at school.   I don't know from personal experience.

Vantrice
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Bump!

wootza
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Quoting Balancing:

here is a bump.

for a few of our friends, it has been difficult planning the PCS accordingly especially as they continued down the command track.  One couple, the female ended up getting out after they spent a year a part with a volunteer harship tour with the purpose of choosing to rejoin that in the end didn't happen.  the two individuals were the same MOS and met at school.   I don't know from personal experience.

I've heard that it can be tough, and we both have had conversations with our commanders about the possible PCSs.  We know that *eventually* we will have to decide who's career is "worth" more - whether that means command or not, and the other person will have to find what's available at a particular base to follow the other around (or....get out, if the timing's appropriate). 

As it looks now, we'll be separated for about a year here pretty soon, as I arrived at this station about 2 years ahead of him.  I took an extended duty assignment to try and stay on station longer, but that's going to run out soon.  To make it more difficult, he's just earned a very notable position, which usually requires a follow-on...so...we're not looking forward to the inevitable separation.  The only thing that could keep me around longer is if we're actually marred...*hint hint BABE!*  lol 

thenguyenclan
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM

BUMP!

bramamber
by Amber on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM
My DH is a O but I was enlisted. He was prior enlisted too,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Bump. I only have third hand knowledge. My friend got out as a major and her husband is still in as an LTC in command of a BN. 

wootza
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Quoting bramamber:

My DH is a O but I was enlisted. He was prior enlisted too,

Well, with both being in at the same time, you could still provide advice/thoughts...any to give?

wootza
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Quoting armywife1229:

Bump. I only have third hand knowledge. My friend got out as a major and her husband is still in as an LTC in command of a BN. 

Same as above - I'd appreciate anything you've heard.  I don't mind everyone telling me that they were or who they know, but it means nothing if you don't give up a little nugget of info/help.  ;^)

xxxAthena
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I am not in yet..my husband has been in 13 years and i am currently enlisting and will be doing 20 also..i am planning on going either O or Wo into LDO not sure yet. My BIL and SIL are both Officers in the navy. he just retired after not getting picked up on the O-6 board but his wife did get picked up so she is still in...I'm not sure how is is dealing with it..we haven't talked aboutit , its kinda the elephant in the room right now...we aren't sure if he is ok with it or miffed..they have both been in the same amount of time, they met in ROTC at college.

so..not sure if i have anything to really add to your topic but just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the group and good luck on your choices :)

yasbobari
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Vantrice:

Bump!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)