Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh man :(

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hubby just came back last May. He gave up his dwell time to get Hawaii(I argued with him didn't work lol). They are merging all the companies in his battalion or brigade I'm not good on these lol. Because I don't know if this is OPSEC but it has to do with a job downrange. It will make things easier. The merging wasn't supposed to be completed until June(they are deploying several months down the line just don't know when) so ok. Well they moved up the merging. Which means the deployment has been moved up. To when not sure. But this sucks. I knew it would happen but not this close. And ontop of that he is wanting to go back to his srcondary MOS. 21B. Ugh. So...any suggestions on how to tell oldest her? She is now old enough and realizes what goes on. I don't k ow how to tell her. I want to let her know now so we can prepare. I don't want to wait for his orders because we all know they can come anytime. So suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reese1206
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM
How old?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Honestly I would wait until you have a more concrete time line. Things change so often I would wait until you know for sure it is sooner and an approximate idea of when. That is just me though. Otherwise I would sit her down and just explain it to her. Be honest.

mommywife06
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM
She is 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommywife06
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM
I didn't think about that. Here I was saying things could change and went blank on this lol

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Honestly I would wait until you have a more concrete time line. Things change so often I would wait until you know for sure it is sooner and an approximate idea of when. That is just me though. Otherwise I would sit her down and just explain it to her. Be honest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM
I would wait too.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Klynn-whitlow
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I think the best thing you can do is tell her the truth and as much detail as you can about what is going on. "Daddy is going far away overseas." "He will be gone for a year, which is going to seem like a very long time." Also, i would try to avoid telling her that he is going to work. I always tried to avoid that... because then when he does come home (after being at work for a year) she might get stressed every time he goes to work (for a day). Good luck, i hope you guys get things figured out soon!

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I think 4 is still young enough to wait until you know for sure. My oldest is almost 7 and he asks questions. He knows his daddy is leaving again and we talk about why he has to go, etc.

I think that 4 year olds don't have an accurate sense of time anyway so telling her daddy was going away in 5 months, or whatever, won't mean much to her. Once you know for sure, or as sure as you can be with this kind of thing, I would tell her. Good luck!

Quoting mommywife06:

I didn't think about that. Here I was saying things could change and went blank on this lol

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

No way would I bring it up now. At 4, they don't understand THAT much. I am sure it would be fine to wait until he actually gets orders. Good luck!

froggyt11
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

military one source has a website, you can get a free dvd that has Elmo explaining daddy has to go away to do his job. it's great and perfect for a 4 year old

reese1206
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM
I would wait till you know for sure. My husband is on his first deployment and we have 4 kids. We were just honest and explained things to them. He also bought them a huge map and used tacs to mark where we are and where he is. We have a calendar count down which our 4 yr old LOVESSS. We also purchased the kids each a daddy doll. They adore it and sleep with it nightly. Sometimes they take them to town with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)