Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO MORE DOGS! (kind of long rant, sorry)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 12 Replies
Long story short - about two years ago my husband got a puppy ... That puppy grew into a super aggressive and hyper beast. While I came into the relationship with a well trained, people loving dog my husband didn't feel like it would ever be "his" so he went and got a dog that he never really had time for.

Fast forward - the thing of course never had an idea of who the "pack leader" was supposed to be. It knocked over my four year old son every chance it got, it ate furniture, peed and pooed everywhere and became wildly aggressive towards all other dogs (including mine) and strangers.

When husband was away I tried to establish some order, and things went okay until he came home and let the dog do whatever it wanted again - it was just a bad situation, the dog resented me and walked all over my husband

Finally the dog attacked a neighbor dog, ripped it open and the dog's owner pretty good. I said that's it - he needs a yard, a home with no other animals and I refuse to have it around my son acting crazy all the time.
I found the perfect home, some civilian contractor with land and no other dogs - since the dog has been home things are so much better!

I hate to say that, I'm an animal lover to the core, but that dog had issues and being in our family didn't work for anyone. We can now relax, my dog is back to sleeping in the bed and being a well rounded companion, the cat has come out of hiding and my son is no longer afraid
I think the way we have things now is perfect, so much less stressful. And the guy who took the dog is happy PS - with room to run and without being forced to socialize (on walks) he's much better
So things are great and last night my husband decides he wants another dog! Some thousand dollar bulldog!

Ugh! I'm so frustrated!
First of all I believe in adopting and not buying pets, there are too many good older dogs in need of a home.
Secondly we don't NEED another dog! Things are fine now!
Thirdly - my husband will be gone for retraining right after he plans on getting this thousand dollar dog. Guess who will be taking care of it? Me! For almost a whole year by myself, then he comes home and let's it act up again? It would be the whole situation all over again!

He's just not listening to reason, he wants a dog but almost never does the work that's associated with having one.
I get stuck with it when we already have one dog who's willing to please and feels like family

I don't want the last two years to repeat itself, I'll rip my hair out :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife1229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Good reasoning.

yasbobari
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM
If he's not going to be there and not going to take care of the dog,put your foot down,say NO! That would seriously piss me off. Sorry mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandylyn_cohea
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Not that it will work :(

Our rent is 1420 - I can't imagine spending a whole grand on a dog. Especially one that he won't even get to see for more than a month and then not for a year after that

I don't get it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fisterswife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Put your foot down and keep it there! My husband and kids fight me for a dog. There is NO way it will happen. I will be the one taking care of it and I already have so much to do that I wouldn't be able to give the dog the time it needs.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:06 AM

My husband works in animal control. We hear your story all the time. Put your foot down, Mama! Otherwise, we'll be seeing your $1000 dog in the shelter. It happens all the time. :-( 

Quoting brandylyn_cohea:

Long story short - about two years ago my husband got a puppy ... That puppy grew into a super aggressive and hyper beast. While I came into the relationship with a well trained, people loving dog my husband didn't feel like it would ever be "his" so he went and got a dog that he never really had time for.

Fast forward - the thing of course never had an idea of who the "pack leader" was supposed to be. It knocked over my four year old son every chance it got, it ate furniture, peed and pooed everywhere and became wildly aggressive towards all other dogs (including mine) and strangers.

When husband was away I tried to establish some order, and things went okay until he came home and let the dog do whatever it wanted again - it was just a bad situation, the dog resented me and walked all over my husband

Finally the dog attacked a neighbor dog, ripped it open and the dog's owner pretty good. I said that's it - he needs a yard, a home with no other animals and I refuse to have it around my son acting crazy all the time.
I found the perfect home, some civilian contractor with land and no other dogs - since the dog has been home things are so much better!

I hate to say that, I'm an animal lover to the core, but that dog had issues and being in our family didn't work for anyone. We can now relax, my dog is back to sleeping in the bed and being a well rounded companion, the cat has come out of hiding and my son is no longer afraid
I think the way we have things now is perfect, so much less stressful. And the guy who took the dog is happy PS - with room to run and without being forced to socialize (on walks) he's much better
So things are great and last night my husband decides he wants another dog! Some thousand dollar bulldog!

Ugh! I'm so frustrated!
First of all I believe in adopting and not buying pets, there are too many good older dogs in need of a home.
Secondly we don't NEED another dog! Things are fine now!
Thirdly - my husband will be gone for retraining right after he plans on getting this thousand dollar dog. Guess who will be taking care of it? Me! For almost a whole year by myself, then he comes home and let's it act up again? It would be the whole situation all over again!

He's just not listening to reason, he wants a dog but almost never does the work that's associated with having one.
I get stuck with it when we already have one dog who's willing to please and feels like family

I don't want the last two years to repeat itself, I'll rip my hair out :(

barnwell84
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Tell him no and that if he gets the dog you will leave.  I would also tell him that if I don't leave, I will take the dog back to wherever you got it from or to the pound.  You just can't handle all that at one time.

pittawadda
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Agree, put your foot down and if he shows up with said dog, tell him to take it back. I hate to say it but it would be that show it's me or the dog.

Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Can you find out what he wants a new dog so bad? If he wants a dog so bad, can you maybe convince him to at least look at a shelter dog?

My husband wanted a Husky, but as soon as he found out how much the dog would cost, he finally agreed to look at shelter dogs because I told we would not spend a month's rent on a dog when a shelter doggie needs saved and loved too. Try and get him to understand that life is working nicely at the moment. Your son is afraid, the cat can live freely, and the dog you have still needs love.

brandylyn_cohea
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM

i'm so glad i'm not the only one who is like WHY?!

i think at the core he wants a dog just for him, a buddy - but it takes a long time for a dog to get to that point! a lot of time and effort, you just can't come home with the perfect companion!

i know that the dog we have now is kind of a "mama's boy" and really sticks to me more than him, and it's probably frustrating - but i've had my dog since he was 8 weeks old and i've put in the blood,sweat,tears to make him a companion!

his argument is that i can train his dog too, well i tried! but when i would discipline the other dog husband would come around and protect the dog! it never worked, the dog was too conflicted

plus i don't want some horribly expensive bulldog, they're ugly and have a fortune of vet bills in their future. if we got any other dog at all i want an older retriever mix or something - a dog who needs a chance and has a good foundation

he also wants the bulldog for the status, his old sparring partner has a bulldog breeding pair and sells the puppies - so it's like a mascot. which is why i think he's willing to put that much money towards one

boys never grow out of their toys! i swear!

seraphimsong
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM
I'm kinda going through this right now! We had a chihuahua which is technically my dog I suppose because he is such a mamas boy, but my DH wanted a dog to go hiking with him. Well, he got a german shepherd mix and she is very sweet and potty trained and all that, but she has SOOO much energy! And of course now that we have her DH is always too busy to take her hiking ( I think he's taken her once in the last month). She is constantly running through the house, tackling my chihuahua(not in a mean way, a playful one) and he's just not having it. I am 7 months pregnant and I can't really walk her like she needs to be. Its very frustrating!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)