Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who will be the guardian of your children?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM
  • 28 Replies

If something should happen to both you and your SO before your kids turn 18, who will become their guardian?

Have you even made this decision?  Do their future guardians know you've chosen them?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

We haven't done anything official, but I would want my SIL to have them. They have 2 daughters the same age as ours, and have a stable income to care for them. We also have similar values.

DH and I have talked recently about going and getting something in writing, but it's hard for me to bring myself to do it.

jonellg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

We can't die. SRSLY, there is no one both of our families kinda suck.

musicmomma_89
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

My mom is the only partially sane person in our family so she wins. lol.

Lilysmommy1120
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

My parents and if they were unable them his parents.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

My sister and her husband would get our kids. We have talked to both of them and they took a couple days to talk it over, which I was happy about. It isn't a quick decision.

The kids would be provided for monetarily if we both died, so I wouldn't be financially burdening my sister and her young family. We also have it stated in our documents which family members our kids are NOT to be alone with.

We know that my sister and her husband would raise our kids most like we would.

kaesea
Nothing official has done, but we have been discussing asking my older brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1

Yes they know that we chose them. It will be my parents first, if they cant, then my cousin who we act more like sisters than we do cousins.

gabsmome
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM

It would be my sister and her husband.

Jennifer butterfly

Tamara_Seamon
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM

After having our DD 4 yrs ago. We asked my older sister if she would take her if something happened to us. She said yes right away. Then after having our DS 5 months ago again I asked her and she still said yes. When I told her I was pregnant again she laughed and said if I had 15 kids she would still take them. She told me that is what family is for. I know my other sister and my brother would help out and my parents too but they are getting older. It's nice to have a close family.

fluffball80
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM

DH's brother will take our daughter and our dogs if we die.  We asked him to make sure it was okay before we put it in our wills.  Financial decisions will be handled by my dad and father in law.

We made sure we had everything in writing so that my mom (who I don't get along with at all) can't fight for at least visitation if not custody.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)