Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jury Duty

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  • 22 Replies

Something I realized today as my husband got called for Jury duty for the third time (every single time he has been in boot camp or deployed)...I have never ONCE been called for Jury Duty.

Which makes me also wonder...how does it work when you're a military family? Like I am registered in California, but living in Virginia...would they try to call me back to California or would I get called to Jury Duty here in Virginia? Or do they just not call you for it at all?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicmomma_89
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

P.s. Didn't really think this one out since my husband DID get Jury Duty orders and they WERE from California. lol. So I guess I'm just asking what your experience has been with it...

asdenyesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM
My husband has been called for AL recently and we haven't lived there in over 4 years. He says it's because he uses his home of record address. I've never been called, but I change my address eveytime we move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM
Dont know..
armywife1229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM

DH was called during his first deployment. I've never been called, but we both are residents of VA, so thats where it'd be from.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM

If you get notice, you just have to call them and let them know that you are no longer residing there. I got a letter for JD once, but I had moved 2 hours away. They took me off the list. My mom said you can't get in trouble even if you don't call them, but I wouldn't take that chance, lol!

DH was called last year, but he was deployed. He said that was the first time he had ever been notified.

kerwolfe712
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Both DH and I got called, twice each, for Oregon (Home of Record) while stationed in California.  I just responded that we were Active Duty, stationed out of state.  We were excused with no problems.  

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I don't know...I think you are only called for the state you are considered a resident in.

I have been called for JD here once, showed up, but had to decline (or whatever it is) serving b/c we have no child care.

airforcewife36
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Its so ironic you posted this.... I went out to check the mail today and I had a summons for jury duty!!!... We JUST left Holloman AFB and came to Ft Bragg/Pope... I've only been here for about 3 weeks now... so I'm wondering, do they just expect me to come back to NM for jury duty??.. lol.. There was a paper to fill out along with the summons, so I'm sure once they get it and discover I'm no longer in NM I will be 'excused'... but it does anwer your question, yes..military wives do get called upon for jury duty!...lol

Are you a registered voter?... I know a lot of times your  name gets pulled from that list for jury duty details.

abelsc
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

DH has never gotten called for JD. I did once and on the form it had a thing about no child care so I checked that and sent it back.  Never got the call again.

fisterswife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

My husband had a soldier who was called for Jury Duty while they were deployed. His parents called and told them he was deployed. Then when he came back from R&R they arrested him for never showing up and they said deploying wasn't an excuse!!! (He is from El Paso) His family had to bail him out of jail, he stayed injail for over 24 hours before releasing him. He STILL had to go to court a few weeks later even though EVERYONE in his COC called and they faxed his orders to the courts. They ended up dropping everything, but he couldn't have went through all that in the first place!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)