Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter wants to have the Military talk

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM
  • 48 Replies

My 17 year old daughter came home today and wants to talk about the posibilities of joining the Air Force. It was a pretty big shock. I don't know what questions to ask when we talk to the recruiter.

I need other moms to give me your experiences if you have daughters in the military.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LorinLizziesMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I loved serving in the Army. Honestly, make sure she researches her career path and the possibility of being an officer. Encourage her to choose a path that has a marketable skill when she gets out like computers or flight control or flying.

jonellg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Aim high! lol I love the AF and think it was the best choice I ever made. If my children wanted to enlist I would be ok with AF, but I would want them to pick a good job. So they are happy while in and have something to do on the outside.

amberdy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM
My oldest son is planning on joining the AF when he graduates next year. I fully support his decision. Just remember the recruiter will say almost anything to get her to enlist. Pick a job that she can use in the civilian world, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Well my husband is in the Air Force. It has given us a lot of opportunity.

I think they need to make sure they know what career they want to go into, and make sure it's available, and what kind of ASVAB scores they would need to qualify for that job. Also, there may be a wait to go into the AF, so it would good to ask how long before they could leave for training.

Your DD should be physically fit and start running now :)

Good luck!

asaffell
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM

This. Check into career paths now, before she chooses.

Quoting amberdy:

My oldest son is planning on joining the AF when he graduates next year. I fully support his decision. Just remember the recruiter will say almost anything to get her to enlist. Pick a job that she can use in the civilian world, etc.

yasbobari
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Bump! G luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Amber on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Ask as many questions as possible. Right them down and bring them in. She should job shadow some of the jobs she is interested in. They allow this with some of the jobs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM

And once she chooses a job she qualifies for make sure that if they say she's guarnteed the job she chose that it is WRITTEN in her contract and read the contract word for word to make sure it was what was agreed.

Lilysmommy1120
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Bump! Good Luck I wanted to join the Air Force. My dad was in my brother was in my best friends were in but I fell inlove first and decided to follow him around with the Marine Corps.

jealousymagnet
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM
This is the website My momma went to for questions to ask a recruiter when my little brother enlisted a few weeks ago.

http://www.todaysmilitary.com/contact-a-recruiter/ask-a-recruiter

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)