Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Things to see/do along I-85?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm working on plotting out our PCS. It looks like we'll have 4 days to do it.  We're going from Eglin AFB, FL to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.

Anyone have any advice on places to stay, things to do or see along the way?  I thought we might make our first stop in Atlanta, GA.  If we leave early morning we'll have the afternoon and evening there to do some sight-seeing.

I was thinking Greenville, SC for night 2 (just because it's about another 6 hours on the road).  But we could stretch it out and go to Petersburg VA?  Is there anything to do there?  What about Richmond?  It's only a little bit furtherer (and it'd probabl shave a day off our drive time).

So I thought I might see what some of y'all have done moving South to North or vice versa.

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddies_mom101
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM

never done it, we have only done cross country...good luck  

Lindsay42386
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I'm from Atlanta, and there is a lot to do.  In the actual city, close to 85 is the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke museum.  There's also Underground Atlanta and Turner Field is where the Braves play.  There is a lot of history in Atlanta so I'm sure a tour would be easy to find too.

mtsmom1986
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Be careful trying to plan!!! (Especially if your kids are little) I did that when we moved from MT to TX and yeah, it didn't work out. It was a great drive, but hard with 2 LO's. Have fun!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

The oldest will be 10, the younger is 4.  We've been taking them on 10-14 hour trips since they were both very young and both do well.  I just want to make this PCS a little more enjoyable than just packing up and driving til we can't drive anymore.

Quoting mtsmom1986:

Be careful trying to plan!!! (Especially if your kids are little) I did that when we moved from MT to TX and yeah, it didn't work out. It was a great drive, but hard with 2 LO's. Have fun!!

mtsmom1986
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM
My kids are both road trip veterans and we still had a hell of a time because we had to stop every few hours to change diapers and what not. And we did an almso 2000 mile. Move so it took us about 5 days... I'm hoping wherever we go next we can take the time for some fun stuff

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

The oldest will be 10, the younger is 4.  We've been taking them on 10-14 hour trips since they were both very young and both do well.  I just want to make this PCS a little more enjoyable than just packing up and driving til we can't drive anymore.

Quoting mtsmom1986:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Lucky for us, we're out of the diaper stage.  But we still have to stop every few hours for potty breaks, but we try to space them so that it's about the same time we're going to stop for a meal or snack.

Plus DoD regs give one day travel for every 350 miles, so we get 4 days travel.  Might as well make the best of it since we usually do it in half the time allotted.

Quoting mtsmom1986:

My kids are both road trip veterans and we still had a hell of a time because we had to stop every few hours to change diapers and what not. And we did an almso 2000 mile. Move so it took us about 5 days... I'm hoping wherever we go next we can take the time for some fun stuff

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Quoting mtsmom1986:

bramamber
by Amber on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Bump. How fun! Happy planing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM

There's not much in Petersburg, I would rather stay in NC and have more time to enjoy stuff. Not sure if you do hotels with a pool, but that was always my parents secret weapon, as it wore us out and we slept good in the car.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Atlanta has a lot going on... Not sure about Greenville. And if you go through Charlotte, there are a ton of things to do.... But not sure about VA or PA.

Lots of luck with your travels!!

lilnena98
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Not much in Petersburg or Richmond really. We left there this last summer and we would go to Williasmburg alot, Jamestowns or up north to DC. I say stay in SC. Have fun!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN