Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So stressed about our move

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM
  • 29 Replies
We had a verrrry bad pcs experiance when we moved from ny to ga. They lost over half my clothes, my husbands airsoft guns, half my kids clothes our bedding and broke a bunch of shit.

Now that we are pcsing again I have to worry about this crap allllll over again. Please tell me bad experiances like mine are NOT common. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommamiller0809
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I've only PCS'd once but everything arrived safe and sound :)  I just wish we had known more about base lodging and advance DLA before we even got here...would have helped us not arrive homeless (base lodging was full) and broke...

anikahaynes1
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:12 AM
Aww sorry lodging was full. We did get reservations with our base hotel thank god. And this is our 4th pcs we got good at the advance travel pay.

All our other moves hace been fine but I guess one bad move and thats enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Glad your stuff arrived safe and sound! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sasharyave
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:16 AM

I think you're right, one bad move has put a bad taste in your mouth, but it was only 1 out of 4. :) I was panicked moving overseas more than anyother pcs, but our stuff made it. We had some damage but not anything too bad and they sent us a check for the damages so it worked out! GL and don't stress, it only makes the pcs that much harder!!

mommamiller0809
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:23 AM

hehe thanks - Yeah I wouldn't worry too much - it's stuff right?  They'll replace it if it's lost...shoot I might "lose" half my clothes on purpose just to go shopping!  (kidding lol)

Yeah they told us no reservations before we got here, and then when we arrived with kids and dog in tow, the only room that we could be in size/pet wise was reserved for MONTHS lol.  We were like, wow, well OK then!  We did get a hotel room off base (on a Friday on graduation weekend may I add!) so we were OK, but I cried so much that day.  Our stuff didn't arrive for 3 more weeks, so we only had what was in the car...it was interesting.  I hopefully know better for next time!  lol

yasbobari
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Sorry :( except for minor scratched things nothing bad has ever happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Hope everything goes well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heatherbarr
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Every time we PCS somewhere a lot of our stuff gets damaged.

Balancing
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I have had good and bad experiences... the last move - finished up with a $2,700 check being sent to me.  Good Luck - take pictures!

penneylane
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

we had a bad move with this last one. our packers/movers have gotten worse with every move so this time we plan on being biznatches and oversee it all (since we have big enough kids who can't be in a room by themselves now.) something has always gotten broke but nothing irreplaceable (ya for shopping). the last move i found dirty combat boots from his closet put in with my clean clothes from my closet which meants a few loads of laundry when we unpacked. they packed open food containers (which they aren't suppose to do) so we had tons of more garbage on top of all the paper garbage and of course our garbage man will not take anything that is not in your roadside garbage can with lid closed all the way. the movers brought our lawnmower inside..they didnt have the common sense to take it to the 2 car garage! lost all of our hardware for our beds, kitchen table, etc so off to lowes i went.
i think with bad experiences we learn things. like leave notes and be firm with things as well as make sure they give us the hardware box like our first movers did. and every major purchase keep the receipts so show how much we paid like the tv, bbq, etc.
i think the worst thing that has ever happened was our pcs from ny to ok where the little rat mover guy (he was 23) asked if i was 30. i was 22...pregnant with horrible morning sickness. i was pissed at that comment but laughed when he thought my 27 year ol husband was 40.

lilnena98
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I have never had a bad experience. All our stuff was packed and delivered. Eh, there was one or two packers I thought were ididot but other than that nope..all good expereince. It's pretty funny our last pcs we left VA on Friday and on Monday the truck driver called and said our stuff had arrived at El Paso all ready, it beat us there. SO they had to hold it till we got back from Cali. I am sure your move will be way better than your last one...think happy thoughts!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)