Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sigh..... breastfeeding....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM
  • 16 Replies
Sucks.
It's so hard & it hurts.
:'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pishyah
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Hugs, hon!  It isn't like that for everyone and it shouldn't be like this for you.  Are you in contact with your local LLL?  Do you have a holistic-minded Lactation Consultant?  What's happening?  Maybe some of us can help you?  : (

eranne
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I'm sorry. Are you sure the baby is latching right? It should only hurt at first and then the pain should go away as the feeding continues. I know how hard it can be. With my first I got thrush, then mastitis, then thrush again. It was miserable. Also my son wouldn't latch right. With my second I saw a lactation consultant the day after we got out of the hospital and it was a life saver. I fully believe that without her I would have quit after 6 weeks like my first or sooner, instead I bf my son until he self weaned at 15 months and I would have gone longer if he wanted to. I honestly miss it.

asaffell
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Oh mama, hang in there. Reach out to La Leche League if it's really painful and you need help.

I promise it gets easier. I always have pain for the first few weeks, and then it just magically goes away.

Are you seeing baby's lips purse out and hearing big gulps and swallows?

sophiemross
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM
You can do it! Like PPs have said, make sure baby is latching on right. LLL is a wonderful organization and so helpful. Best of luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM
I know it can be hard but it is so worth it!! Like the others said lll and the breastfeeding group on here is epic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM
You can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

It gets better. Also, if it's really painful, your baby may be latching on wrong.

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Hang in there, it gets better. Definetely make sure baby has a good latch. It hurt for me the first week, but only at the very beginning of each feeding then the pain went away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccmvm
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

HUGE. ive been through pain, biting, and currently still nursing my 2 year old and i am 32 weeks pregnant. I hope the pain eases for you, or you figure out what's causing it. I have to unlatch mine because of the pain sometimes but i just cant give it up :) BFing is just so wonderful!

DizneyMomma2001
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Like PP's said, make sure you have a good latch going.  If you need a buffer you can get a nipple shield which will help to heal any cracking while you nurse.  To encourage a good let down, take a HOT shower, as HOT as you can stand it or just place hot packs on your boobs .  I've breast fed 2 children and it does get easier with time trust me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)