Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Double standards. Spinoff of mutilation.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM
  • 175 Replies

So, this new proposal in San Francisco to ban circumcision got me thinking.  Since circumcision to some people is a form of "mutilation" just simply because you are "cutting" on something... making the mutilation term fitting.. And making it ok to accuse the parents that chose to do it of "mutilating" their child..

Would it be ok to ask someone that had an abortion (because it was their right and choice) why they murdered their child?  To some, speaking in general here- abortion = murder.   But yet, it would be absolutely absurd to ask them if they committed murder.   If this proposal passes on the circumcision, you can get fined up to $1,000 and up to a year in jail-  for exercising your RIGHT (that would obviously be taken away) But yet, you can have an abortion (or murder- since to *some* may be a "fitting" term by definition) and face no punishment what so ever, because it is YOUR RIGHT and YOUR CHOICE to have an abortion- because at that time you felt it was the right decision.   But, you would probably be very hurt if someone called you a murderer.   And no, don't say "well that's different".  Because it's not.  That's called hypocrisy. 

This has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with abortion (because I personally don't care what someone does, it's their choice)  I think it's crazy that one would be punished for circumcision but not for abortion. But, I would never ask someone if they murdered their child- out of respect for them because it was their choice.  I think a lot of people in this country have just lost respect for how something may make someone FEEL simply because they are SO caught up in their OPINION.  We are numb to that.  So everyone just spews hatefulness and judgement, regardless of how it may make someone feel inside, and then not even feel an ounce of compassion for that person.  Simply because you don't agree.  How is that ok?

There's my rambling for the day...   the end.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jonellg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Apples and oranges

asaffell
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

The word mutilation means to cut or remove a body part or limb, or to make imperfect. It is a double standard when we use it with a gender bias. It's a semantics thing - we use it for females because we want to convey a negative cultural standard, but males are different.

Many people do use "murder" in place of abortion. But there's contention on the idea of when a fetus becomes a person, so there's a different issue there than with the use of mutilation for similar practices without a gender bias.

Vantrice
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yes, abortion and circumcision are two totally different things.

To you, circumcision = mutilation.

To some, abortion = murder.

You're calling people mutilator's because of a choice they made.  That's a harsh word.

Would you look at someone and call them a murderer because of a choice they made? 

asaffell
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Jess, what would you call the mother of someone who removed her infant daughter's clitoral hood? This is the only point I'm making with it being a double standard.

jonellg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

It's not harsh, it is by definition mutilation. Would I say abortion is murder, not so much. It's homicide if we wanna get all technical.

Quoting Vantrice:

You're calling people mutilator's because of a choice they made.  That's a harsh word.

Would you look at someone and call them a murderer because of a choice they made? 

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I agree with you.

I have also asked how one can be pro-choice, but anti-induction/scheduled c-sections. I always get "apples and oranges" as an answer :/

Vantrice
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Quoting usmclife58:

I agree with you.

I have also asked how one can be pro-choice, but anti-induction/scheduled c-sections. I always get "apples and oranges" as an answer :/

I totally expected the apples & oranges answer.

But I'm sure maybe a few people will find my point amongst my rambling.  lol

Vantrice
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Quoting jonellg:

It's not harsh, it is by definition mutilation. Would I say abortion is murder, not so much. It's homicide if we wanna get all technical.

Quoting Vantrice:

Ok, well let me rephrase it then.  Would you ask someone if they committed homicide to their unborn child?  I doubt it.

ocean10844
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
How can it be mutilation, when some do it for religious reason, no diff then removing an organ or having cosmetic surgery!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnAnxiousHeart
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Jess I agre with you 100%. I had the exact same thought cross my mind in that discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)