Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vow renewal in PJ's on our bed.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM
  • 40 Replies

So for the last five years or so we have been really seriously planning on renewing our vows in Ireland on our tenth anniversary. We had a very small wedding in 2003 and it was so quick and it didn't feel special.

My husband was deploying and this deployment I have had a horrible feeling in my gut. Didn't have it in Afghan or his humanitarian efforts even though they weres somewhat dangerous. There was never a real doubt in my mind he would come home. This time I just have this feeling. Not a good feeling. Trying to be strong but it is hard. I feel like I drove him to his own execution when I dropped him off. My gut has never been wrong yet. I am hoping there is a first time for everything.

Anyway, we got to go out on a date. An all alone date which hadn't happened in forever. We had amazing talks and I told him he is still the only one for met, etc. and he said the same. We got home and put our PJ's on and we spur of the moment decided to renew our vows. Sitting on our bed, all alone just the two of us in our PJ's. I am going to put our renewal vows in the first reply, but this was more special than our first wedding. The feeling and emotion in what was said on our bed was more special than a royal wedding.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

My Beginning reading, then I winged it a little:

On our wedding day, I made a choice. It was the most important and significant choice of my life and I made it only after a great deal of consideration. On that day, I chose you to be my wife. I thought then that such a decision, once made, as final and irrevocable. Now I know that the selection of a life partner is not a one-time decision but an on-going process. Many times in the years since then, I have chosen you again. Faced with changes and alternatives, I have become keenly aware that a marriage lasts only so long as both partners desire each other above all others. As our lives have been affected by the ebb and flow of other lives and events, there have been many times when I could have chosen to go in a different direction. I did not. The reason is simple: no other person has ever aroused in me the feelings of tenderness, joy and caring which you elicit. I elect to stay with you not because I feel obligated to meet your needs but because you continue to meet mine. I live with you not because a legal document says that I am your wife but because, in my heart of hearts, I still want to be by your side more than I want to be anywhere else.

Then I added some personal lines then a couple quotes that follow.

"I will love you always. When this hair is white, I will still love you. When the smooth softness of youth is replaced by the delicate softness of age, I will still want to touch your skin. When your face is full of the lines of every smile you have ever smiled, of every surprise I have seen flash through your eyes, when every tear you have ever cried has left its mark upon your face,I will treasure you all the more, because I was there to see it all. I will share your life with you and I will love you until the last breath leaves your body or mine."

"I miss you when something really good happens, because you're the one I want to share it with. I miss you when something is troubling me, because you're the one who understands me so well. I miss you when I laugh and cry, because I know that you are the one that makes my laughter grow, and my tears disappear. I miss you all the time, but I miss you the most when I lay awake at night, and think of all the wonderful times that we spent with each other for those were some of the best and most memorable times of my life."

As we grow older together, As we continue to change with age, There is one thing that will never change. I will always keep falling in love with you.

"In my wildest dreams, you always play the hero. In my darkest hour of night, you rescue me, you save my life."

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Justin's reading and ad-libbing:

On our wedding day, I made a choice. It was the most important and significant choice of my life and I made it only after a great deal of consideration even though my parents thought we were too youg and innature.On that day, I chose you to be my wife, for the second time because I screwed up the first time . I thought then that such a decision, once made, as final and irrevocable, until I was told my family had a car runing outside just waiting for me if I changed my mind.. Now I know that the selection of a life partner is not a one-time decision but an on-going process. Many times in the years since then, I have chosen you again. Faced with changes and alternatives, I have become keenly aware that a marriage lasts only so long as both partners desire each other above all others. As our lives have been affected by the ebb and flow of other lives and events, there have been many times when I could have chosen to go in a different direction, but I never wanted another direction you have aways been nmy only direction. I did not. The reason is simple: no other person has ever aroused in me the feelings of tenderness, joy and caring which you elicit. I elect to stay with you not because I feel obligated to meet your needs but because you continue to meet mine. I live with you not because a legal document says that I am your husband but because, in my heart of hearts, I still want to be by your side more than I want to be anywhere else.

He said some personal things about how his greatest wish was that I could see myself through his eyes for five minutes so he could see how amazing I think he is.

"I will love you always. When this hair is white, I will still love you. When the smooth softness of youth is replaced by the delicate softness of age, I will still want to touch your skin. When your face is full of the lines of every smile you have ever smiled, of every surprise I have seen flash through your eyes, when every tear you have ever cried has left its mark upon your face,I will treasure you all the more, because I was there to see it all. I will share your life with you and I will love you until the last breath leaves your body or mine."

Then we did the old rings with this saying:

Justin to me::

And it is with renewed hope and faith,

That I look toward continuing our journey.

And with this renewal of vows,

Our love and commitment

Will grow even stronger.

Then I to Justin with his old ring:

Our love and commitment

Will grow even stronger.

Then our vows with the newer rings:

I, Justin, again take you,Courtney,

To be my wife

To have and to hold,

To love and to cherish,

In sickness and in health,

In good times and in bad with renewed faith and hope.

Then the final part of myself to Justin:

I thank you for the time we’ve had together.

Our love and commitment

Will grow even stronger.

Then he got to kiss his bride,

Just with the things  I have been feeling lately this gives me hope. A new connection.

Soniam301
by Sonia on May. 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM
That is beautiful. ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Is it cool if I post a couple pics? I look a little cried out. I am in my PJs. Lol.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I guess the whole point is it doesn't take a huge wedding or even a vow renewal in Ireland. That sitting on our bed, deciding at the last minute to do it and kind of winging it, just the two of us was more amazing than a planned wedding. The emotion was so raw and real and that just amazed me.

Soniam301
by Sonia on May. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Of course! Post pics!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abelsc
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Aww Courtney, that made me cry.  

Soniam301
by Sonia on May. 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM
That is the best type of emotion. A moment to cherish forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

First I will post pics of our date night dinner. Our waitress said she thought we were newly weds. She said we had that glow. Then she said my eyes were amazing and that must have been what Justin fell in love with.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)