• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arlington National Cemetery

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM
  • 31 Replies

Uncle Sam has given me the opportunity to be stationed here in the Nations Capital, and after almost 2 years of living here, DH and I finally decided to venture out and explore more than the usual monuments. I never thought of a cemetery as a place to visit, but after walking through for almost 3 hours, I still feel we didn't take in all this place had to offer... here are a couple photo's from our trip....

"It isn't just my brothers country, or my husbands country; it's my country as well. And so the war wasn't just their war. It was my war, and I needed to serve in it." Beatrice Hood Stroup

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jonellg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I would imagine it was an interesting trip. I would like to see it someday.

MaMa2Azriel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Arlington is absolutely beautiful.  I had the honor of placing a wreath on the tomb for the NCOA on Veteran's Day last year or the year before.  Don't remember! lol  In any case, very beautiful and humbling place, I agree.  Where are you stationed?  I was at Fort Belvoir for 3 years.

tbosgirl
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I love DC. I haven't been there in probably 12 years, but I really would like to take my kids there this summer.

SSimonson0711
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
DC is my absolute favorite place I have ever been. I've been there probably 10 times and every time I go to Arlington. It's a weird thing to say, but its a magical place. The changing of the guards, the plots of the last 5 star generals, everything there gives me such goose bumps. Go out and explore everything there! Be the tourist and take the tram tour one day, its the one I do every time I'm in town. I'm so jealous you are there!
Kristi483
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

We have been to DC a couple of times (It's  about 2 1/2 hrs from us) but haven't gone there yet. I would love to go next time we are there though

ASigler86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM

It was definitely a great experience. Sometimes I get so bogged down with being in PG county, that I forget we have so many great things just a short ride away!

Quoting jonellg:

I would imagine it was an interesting trip. I would like to see it someday.

ASigler86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM

We are at Andrews AFB. I really do love the DC area, but where we are isn't the best so it takes at least 30 mins to get anywhere. I want to get out and see more places while we are lucky enough to be here! That's a great honor! Watching the wreath ceremonies and the changing of the guard were some of my favorite parts of being there. I think we stayed at the Tomb for almost an hour just taking it in.

Quoting MaMa2Azriel:

Arlington is absolutely beautiful.  I had the honor of placing a wreath on the tomb for the NCOA on Veteran's Day last year or the year before.  Don't remember! lol  In any case, very beautiful and humbling place, I agree.  Where are you stationed?  I was at Fort Belvoir for 3 years.

Oddy_Knocky
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

My Father in Law is buried there and I always, always get choked up being there. 

ASigler86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I know what you are saying about the goose bumps! The Arlington House was quite interesting and the gentlemen that stood out front gave us a great history lesson on how important Lee truly was to the war.

While we were there, there was an Army burial, as I stood next to my Husband and one of our good friends (all 3 of us military), all I could do was pray for the Soldier and his/her family.

Quoting SSimonson0711:

DC is my absolute favorite place I have ever been. I've been there probably 10 times and every time I go to Arlington. It's a weird thing to say, but its a magical place. The changing of the guards, the plots of the last 5 star generals, everything there gives me such goose bumps. Go out and explore everything there! Be the tourist and take the tram tour one day, its the one I do every time I'm in town. I'm so jealous you are there!

MaMa2Azriel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

The number of funerals they do there everyday is amazing, it's in the 20's.  A guy in my unit at Belvoir lost his little boy to brain cancer while we were there and we were good friends with him so we went to the funeral.  There was at least one other ceremony going on at the same time, within sight of his son's burial.  The bull dozer actually showed up while the mother was still standing there, it was awful!  But I know what you mean about being military and seeing one of the funerals...I would always think about me and my DH when I would drive down 110 on the way to Georgetown and see them happening inside. 

Quoting ASigler86:

I know what you are saying about the goose bumps! The Arlington House was quite interesting and the gentlemen that stood out front gave us a great history lesson on how important Lee truly was to the war.

While we were there, there was an Army burial, as I stood next to my Husband and one of our good friends (all 3 of us military), all I could do was pray for the Soldier and his/her family.

Quoting SSimonson0711:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)