Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting the single parent life for the next year

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM
  • 119 Replies

So this past week i am beginning to realize what it is like to be a single parent. I think it would be alot easier if i had to do it alone from the get, but going from always having my husband there to help, to just completely by myself is such a hard transition. I am definitly am doing way better than i expected to, but my question is what is is like for other military wives?

Okay since there is a HUGE debate on what a single parent is....i wasnt rying to offend anyone, it is my own opinion..i think there are several different definitions of a single parent...I am a single parent for the next year of my life i take care of her and i raise her on my own while my DH isnt home when he get home i will no longer be a single i will be a team, all of you have had valid points and i understand them....

It doesnt matter how you do it, where the money comes from, where you live or who you have to help you. if it just you taking care of your child that is a single parent...regardless for how long regardless the income if its through the states help or the government....yes i am a single mother for the next year of mine and my daughters life.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lupe_wheeler
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:19 AM

It's been around 2 months and you get more used to it i know that sounds sad but I have gotten used to doing it all on my own now.Hope it goes fast for you.

shsal
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:16 AM

It's definitely hard going from being used to having them there to being a single mom but it does become more routine over time. I was truly a single mom until my son was 14 mos old and then I met my SO. My son is now 2 1/2 yrs old and we've been w/out SO for the last couple months. I'm 36 wks pregnant w/ our son together and freaking a little bit that I'll have both boys on my own for a few months. We live in Hawaii so I don't have family nearby.

All I can say is just remember that every day is a clean slate. There are definitely some days I'm pulling out my hair but then others seem to pass w/out a glitch. =)

Hang in there! =)

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

My dh has been gone for a little over a week and so far we are trucking along just fine.  I am used to him being gone for a  month or two at a time though so I am sure it will hit me  harder after the first month.  I don't consider myself a single parent though cause I still get a lot of verbal/emotional support from my dh.

SarahJean70
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I can handle the parenting on my own (he's gone so much anyway it's par for the course), the hardest part is missing him and sharing my day. But, we do have phone calls. I suppose that is what makes it easier than being a true single parent and never having that other person who is in it with you -- even with thousands of miles between you.

You'll be ok, mama. Just take it one day at a time.

A.Melder
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Quoting lupe_wheeler:

It's been around 2 months and you get more used to it i know that sounds sad but I have gotten used to doing it all on my own now.Hope it goes fast for you.

thank you

A.Melder
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM

thank you, i def have been taking it one day at a time and so far its gone by semi fast. whn does your husband get home?

Quoting shsal:

It's definitely hard going from being used to having them there to being a single mom but it does become more routine over time. I was truly a single mom until my son was 14 mos old and then I met my SO. My son is now 2 1/2 yrs old and we've been w/out SO for the last couple months. I'm 36 wks pregnant w/ our son together and freaking a little bit that I'll have both boys on my own for a few months. We live in Hawaii so I don't have family nearby.

All I can say is just remember that every day is a clean slate. There are definitely some days I'm pulling out my hair but then others seem to pass w/out a glitch. =)

Hang in there! =)

A.Melder
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I couldnt agree with you more...im not nervouse about the first few months, its after... and beings that this is my first deployment i dont know what to expect...

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

My dh has been gone for a little over a week and so far we are trucking along just fine.  I am used to him being gone for a  month or two at a time though so I am sure it will hit me  harder after the first month.  I don't consider myself a single parent though cause I still get a lot of verbal/emotional support from my dh.

A.Melder
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

yeah i guess your right, that is one thing i truely miss is his company, and im sad that our baby will grow up with out him for her first year and he will miss out on all the big stuff in her life...i dunno but thank you

Quoting SarahJean70:

I can handle the parenting on my own (he's gone so much anyway it's par for the course), the hardest part is missing him and sharing my day. But, we do have phone calls. I suppose that is what makes it easier than being a true single parent and never having that other person who is in it with you -- even with thousands of miles between you.

You'll be ok, mama. Just take it one day at a time.

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Ours too ;o)  I have done as long as 6 months but not a year.

Quoting A.Melder:

I couldnt agree with you more...im not nervouse about the first few months, its after... and beings that this is my first deployment i dont know what to expect...

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

~~~Tina~~~  Check out my blog!  www.tinas365.blogspot.com

tm_burriss. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

A.Melder
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM

see i have only done a lil over a months, which is nothing to your 6...but i can kinda relate

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

Ours too ;o)  I have done as long as 6 months but not a year.

Quoting A.Melder:

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)