• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying with a baby

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

Is red eye worth it? We will be flying from California to South Carolina, so it will be 4.5 hrs, 2 hr layover and then 1 hr. Any tips? I have a month til we fly but I need all the help I can get at this point lol. 

Photobucket

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM
How old is your baby? Just have an extra change of clothes for you and baby, plenty of diapers, bottles, wipes.

For me it didn't matter when we flew, my kids never slept on a flight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eranne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I've never flown red eye so I don't know. You are allowed to bring drinks and snacks, so pack plenty of those. If you have formula it needs to be mixed or you have to get water once you're through security, they won't let you just bring water. Have plenty of things to do, toys, games. If you have a lap top or IPad or whatever, have shows for him to watch. If he still uses a pacifier, that is great for take off and landing to help with ears popping. Other than that, lots of deep breaths.

Pugsmuggler
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM

He will be 10 months when we fly, he is not completely on solids yet...lol its more play for him that actual eating. He is breast fed :P

Danielle-Lo-La
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM

my 5 month old passed out on the plane (sundday).

He didn't get to sleep much, mostly just during take off.. that was the only time the other kids on the flight were quiet. The rest was screaming and crying. Everytime he started to fall asleep, the other babies got really noisy. He did great though. Didn't cry once. (we flew from WA state to New York). I agree with the snacks and fluids but the flight staff will be more than welcome to bring you water for bottles/ sippy cups so no use in carrying around the exra weight. We had the laptop and used it for movies/cartoons... just to keep him occupied.
not usre how it is with older kids but I was told to give mine a bottle at takeoff and landing to help the the ear pains... it didn't really phase him one way or the other. I think with toys and snacks you should be fine.

Danielle-Lo-La
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM

oh and we flew red eye... it felt like every other family with infants did the same. next time I don't think I'll make the extra effort unless we need the day for something :) good luck!

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Quoting eranne:

I've never flown red eye so I don't know. You are allowed to bring drinks and snacks, so pack plenty of those. If you have formula it needs to be mixed or you have to get water once you're through security, they won't let you just bring water. Have plenty of things to do, toys, games. If you have a lap top or IPad or whatever, have shows for him to watch. If he still uses a pacifier, that is great for take off and landing to help with ears popping. Other than that, lots of deep breaths.

Not true, I always bring water they just test it.  You have to let them know its for formula when you get to security.  If you mixed formula hours and hours before you give it to baby it would go bad.

eranne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I guess it depends on the airport because I've had them make me pour it out, granted that was several years ago.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting eranne:

Not true, I always bring water they just test it.  You have to let them know its for formula when you get to security.  If you mixed formula hours and hours before you give it to baby it would go bad.

JMmama
by Kara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM

That's the way it was when my daughter (now 3) was about 5 months old. But, I think the regulations changed recently, like within the past year or so, so you can bring liquids for children through security.

Quoting eranne:

I guess it depends on the airport because I've had them make me pour it out, granted that was several years ago.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting eranne:

armywife1229
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM

My kids slept so much better on overnight flights to Germany then the ones coming back. But I always have them travel in the carseat so they feel more comfortable.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)