Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipling your kids

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

How do you discipline your kids? Did it change with each kid, the infraction, their age?

I ask cause my 2 almost 3 year old is no longer responding to redirection. I am looking to a new way and am looking for other people's past experiences and tips.

Wife to Army Spc Chris.(12-17-07)

Stay at home mommy to Riley (7-21-08)

Second time mommy to Zander (10-9-10)

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Mattel-
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Nose in the corner so they can't see what's going on around then. Feet together, hands clasped behind back, for the age of the child. Mine are 4 and 2 and it works wonders. 

asdenyesmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
Every kid is different, so different things work for different ones. You can start trying time out or taking away favorite items.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Amber on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Time outs and/or taking away privileges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clo1988
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM
Mine are 20onths and 3 and timeouts work great for us. The only thing that is different between the 2 is the way I talk to them when there in trouble. My 3 yr old is autistic and very sensitive and my 1 yr old will laugh in your face if you tried the whole "that wasn't nice sweetheart" approach!
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Depends on the child, what they did, and their age. We use timeouts and spankings if necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

For me, discipline is to teach.  So I teach my children and do not have unrealistic expectations about their development.  I educate myself on brain development at each age and stage and frame my expectations appropriately.  I do not use gimmicks or tricks or coercion.  Instead, I simply teach and lead and guide.  I do not use punitive discipline.  Children learn the majority of their lessons from watching those around them, mostly their primary care givers.  My example is the single largest influence on their behavior.

Children learn best through play so if I'm having trouble teaching something, I try to make it fun.  Play and connect and they will get it.  The most important thing is to give my children my love so that they feel secure and don't feel the need to 'act out'

Army_Angel28
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I'll get "bashed" for this ...

My son is 3 almost 4. He gets spanked...yes ladies I said it...I spank my son..I've also been told by his daycare teachers and strangers that he's the best behaved 3yr old they've seen in a long time. I believe in discipline. My parents spanked me and my husbands parents spanked him. ...he also gets put in the corner.

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM

For the most part, taking away privileges seems to work.  

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM
I felt the same when I replied, but we always are complimented on our children's behavior, and they're 4 and 2.

Quoting Army_Angel28:

I'll get "bashed" for this ...

My son is 3 almost 4. He gets spanked...yes ladies I said it...I spank my son..I've also been told by his daycare teachers and strangers that he's the best behaved 3yr old they've seen in a long time. I believe in discipline. My parents spanked me and my husbands parents spanked him. ...he also gets put in the corner.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftatertots
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM

wow i was just going to post the same question!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)