Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have come across something very strange

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

so i enrolled my dd into swimming lessons at one of the pools in the city. when i paid they made me pay the "out of city" price vs the "in city" price. it wasnt much more but to me it makes no sense. they said its because my subdivision (which has to be at least 15 years old) isnt a part of the city. my street address is such and such drive, that city. we live right next to a middle school for goodness sakes. so now im wondering where i do i live if i dont live in the city? u go any direction from my house and you are in a part of the city. anyone ever heard of this and WHY its like this? because the guy only said it had something to do with taxes. we dont even pay this states taxes which was no help.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asdenyesmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM
You stay outside of city limits. They do that in the town my grandma stays in. Anyone that stays in the city limits has 2 addresses. The second address is called the e-911 address. Idk if this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

You are probably not actually within city limits.  Here the actually "city" extends past the city limits even though both addresses have the same zip code.  It is just how the city limit signs were drawn.  The schools don't have to be in the city limit to be run by that school system.

asdenyesmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Basically the part you stay in is considered the country. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

You are probably not actually within city limits.  Here the actually "city" extends past the city limits even though both addresses have the same zip code.  It is just how the city limit signs were drawn.  The schools don't have to be in the city limit to be run by that school system.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
penneylane
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM

in front of my subdivision is city. BEHIND my subdivision is city and so are both sides. we are like a hole in the city that isnt part of the city.

MrsMWF
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Yeah. It was like that in Ohio where I lived. I lived within city limits but the outskirt was the township. Even though we were all considered Perrysburg, there were differences in taxes and stuff for city residents vs. township residents.

nicoled02
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

If you're not within the city limits then the owners of your house dont pay as much in property taxes. And since property taxes help pay for things within the city, that's why they have those different rates for programs like that.

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM
This. You can live right off of a main road within a city and not be within "city limits". It's just the way it is.

Quoting nicoled02:

If you're not within the city limits then the owners of your house dont pay as much in property taxes. And since property taxes help pay for things within the city, that's why they have those different rates for programs like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Josefsdotter
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Actually, this problem is very common.  So many cities have unclaimed territory in zipcodes that are post office addresses only.  You need to find out what local city or unincorporated county your house is actually located in.  I suggest you go to city hall or county courthouse records to find out.  I have friends who live in a big city that has tendrils all up and down the highway nearby, though their post office city address and zipcode are the same as mine.  (Their city actually has a few more benefits at Rec centers than we do, so she is happy to claim her actual city.)  You might find out that your house has a similar connection to another city nearby.  Then you can get city discount there instead.

yasbobari
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Quoting LOswald0314:

This. You can live right off of a main road within a city and not be within "city limits". It's just the way it is.

Quoting nicoled02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)