Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those whose husband who work evening shift or deployed..

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you ever find it hard to cook dinner for just you and ds/dd when your husband dosent get home til the morning or whatever??

My hubby works the night shift and i find it very hard to cook for me and just my son since he only 2 and usually dosent eat it all.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsptchmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM
I work swing shift and I'm a single mom. I don't have money to eat out so I take my meals and during the work week I cook for only me. It's tough. One of the things I do is make a full batch of whatever I'm cooking, package individual servings and freeze all but what I need for that day. I do that for about a week and then I have good, nutritious meals for several days that I just have to reheat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahJean70
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM
I'm horrible about cooking - even worse with dh gone. I assemble food more than cook; we do a lot of take-out and a lot of cereal for dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Whatever i cook for dinner- save it for him on the microwave or fridge. but when he was deployed ,yes.. didnt go all out like i usually do when he is home .

TheeMotimes
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Hard? No. Pointless? Maybe! I sometimes find it pointless to just cook for me and DS, but if I don't cook something, we're forced to eat a bunch of processed and/or boxed/canned foods, which I'm not keen on, so I try to put forth the effort into making something somewhat healthy.

If my DH were working at night, I would cook so that he had something to eat when he got home.

-Tiffany

Sometimes I blog here and here.

penneylane
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM

when dh was gone away i cooked the way i normally do. big suppers so i can have leftovers for lunch.

JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Yes, this is me. I do pretty well when DH is home, but when he is gone... forget about it.

Quoting SarahJean70:

I'm horrible about cooking - even worse with dh gone. I assemble food more than cook; we do a lot of take-out and a lot of cereal for dinner.

seraphimsong
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Me too. Dh works 24 on 24 off so when he's at work I never feel like cooking. Dd and I are big fans of cereal for dinner. When he's deployed I have a hard time seeing the point of making a huge meal.

Quoting JMmama:

Yes, this is me. I do pretty well when DH is home, but when he is gone... forget about it.

Quoting SarahJean70:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlphaTango11
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I hardly cook at all when DH is gone. When he is home, I love to cook for him :)

meka26
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Since SO deployed I hardly cook. DD is a very picky eater and we waste a lot of food. I must admit I have enjoyed my break from cooking, lol, but I do miss his cooking. He can cook better than me.

LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM
I find myself eating healthier in those situations. I can just have a simple salad and DS can have some boiled noodles and veggies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)